Chapter 1

I try not to cry, I had promised myself I wouldn't, but a steady stream of reluctant tears begin to roll down my cheeks as they lower her into the ground. 

What was I supposed to do? 

She was my best friend. 

"Maya Emily Russo. May 18th, 1999 to July 30th, 2015. May Our Sweet Angel Become One Of God's." I read the engraving on Maya's tombstone quietly to myself. 

Maya's mom awakens me from my spell to tell me that the funeral is over. Her face is damp from her sadness. 

"It's okay. I'm . . . just going to stay and sit with her for a bit, if it's okay." She smiles and I can see my reflection in her green eyes, Maya's eyes.

"That'd be fine, sweetheart. You stay as long as you need to." Mrs. Russo hugs me and whispers, "You were such a good friend to her, Chloe. You were always there when she needed you." She kisses my forehead and I smile slightly. 

Mr. Russo leaves and I wait for everyone to else to, then kneel down next to her. Knowing not what to do, I lay down on the soft grass and make shapes out of the clouds. 

"Hey. What's up?" I start to cry again. I grind my teeth together, frustrated with myself. "Why would I say that? Stupid, stupid! You're dead!" 

I pound my fists on the ground, crushing each pesky dandelion that lies in my wake. I beat my fists into the ground until I'm too weak to continue and fall asleep.

"Chloe." Someone puts their hands on my shoulders and I pick my head up quickly. 

"Maya? Is it you?" I turn to face the person. 

It's only your Mom, Chloe. I'm dead, remember? 

"Oh, It's you." I wipe my tears away and pull my dress down over my knees, trying to compose myself.

"Yes, only me." She takes my hands and examines my red fists. I don't make eye contact with her. 

"Uh, where's Robbie?" I try to change the subject. 

"At home, Chloe. That's where you need to be, too. The funeral's been over for an hour and it's going to rain. Come on, sweetheart."

She holds out her hand and I take it. Mom leads me to the car and we start to pull away from the cemetery. Raindrops begin pelting the windshield and I take another look at the place where my dead best friend will forever lie.

Come see me again, Chlo.

"I will."