My Sweet Alyssum

Jake left me a year ago. No notes left, no goodbyes, I really didn't know why. He was just.. gone in thin air.

But I know we're still together.. I can still feel like he's near me all throughout the year he wasn't present.

I made sure that although he left, I can still be with him in every way that I can — my alyssums.

One afternoon, I was sitting by the window watching people passby while holding pictures of him. The skies were in different hues of blue. I thought my day couldn't get any better.. not until I saw a guy — a very familiar guy.

With his pants and flannel top, I definitely knew who he was.. from head to toe, there's only one person that comes to mind.. it was Jake.

“How come you're back?” I never asked why he left.

He replied, “I will always come back to you.”

“I love you, Reese.” A kiss landed on my forehead before I could speak again.

By the looks of it, he was exactly how he was the day he left — from his clothes, his hair.. everything in its exact form.

..But this is not Jake. How come he's back, but not the way he was before.

He looks like Jake.. but he doesn't feel like Jake.

Jake would never cook for me, but I woke up in bed with my favorite meal, all prepared by him. He couldn't even get me cupcakes before, but today, a perfect slice of chocolate cake was placed beside by my plate.

Jake would never give me flowers, but today, he went outside to help me in the garden. He said he'd grow flowers to pick one for me every morning.

He tucks me in at night, caresses me gently. He looks into my lonely eyes and starts kissing me torridly.. saying he's mine and I'm his in between, as we both catch our breaths.

This is not Jake.. he wouldn't even bother telling me good night. There weren't nights where I didn't sleep facing his back.

He stares at me in every chance that he gets. It's seems like I am the only person his eyes wants to see. He would take time looking at every inch of me.. even the parts that the old Jake wouldn't bother glancing upon.

We never talk about the whole year that he disappeared. We continued our life like nothing happened. I never asked, and so did he.

One night, we were dancing under the big oak tress with fairy lights surrounding us, but he refused when he heard the song.

“Love, let's play the song you really like.” He said.

“B-but you hated it when I change the song?” I confusingly said.

“Why would I dance with the love of my life with the song that my ex used to play for me?” He replied, pulling me in closer.

I know that you are mine

and there's nothing in this world that I wouldn't do to be near you..

every day,
every hour,
every minute

Take my hand and let me lead the way.

All through your life, I'll be by your side.

“Why aren't you singing the last line?” He asked.

“Til death..” I continued singing, “do us part.”

“But even death can't separate us, Reese.” He uttered happily as if he adored me ever since.

“I love you, Reese.” He said it.. as if he came back from banging his head on concrete wall.

—Flashback: A year ago—

“You can't fucking leave me, Jake! No one's leaving this house!”

“Can you even hear yourself, Reese?! You sound so desperate, miserable and a fucking pushover!”

“Leaving me for what? For whom? That whore, Jake?”

A loud slap landed on my face.

“We all know I don't wanna be in this house! From the very first time I laid my eyes on you, I know I'm fucked for life!”

“BUT SHE'S YOU'RE EX NOW! SHE LEFT YOU, JAKE! WHY CAN'T YOU SEE THAT?!”

“She left me because you and my greedy family harassed her everywhere just so you can marry me!” He shouted, “You're so shitty that you even convinced her that I'm just using her for pleasure!”

I laughed hysterically.

“She can't love you the way I do, Jake. Changing your mind right now will never make her accept you again. She's so done with you.”

“You did that cause you fantasize about me touching you, but you know damn well that I can't even share the same room as you. Sucks to be you, fucking loser!”

I know that you are mine

and there's nothing in this world that I wouldn't do to be near you

every day,
every hour,
every minute

Take my hand and let me lead the way.

All through your life, I'll be by your side.

“If I can't have you.. no one else can..”

“I pray I banged your head just enough to forget her and remember me, Jake.”

He said nothing will make him stay, but he lied..

'cause underneath these lovely   alyssums lies the man I love so dearly.