Chapter 10

I turn the Jaguar left onto the A4 and speed along the three-lane highway. Teju is hunched down in the passenger seat with her arms wrapped around herself, but at least she's remembered to put on her seat belt. She's staring out at the passing industrial buildings and car showrooms, but occasionally she wipes a sleeve across her face, and I know she's still crying.

How can women cry so quietly?

"Do you want me to stop for tissues?" I ask. "I'm sorry I don't have any."

She shakes her head but doesn't look at me.
I understand why she's emotional. What a day. If I'm astounded by today's events, she must be overwhelmed. Completely overwhelmed. I think it's best if I leave her alone to gather her thoughts. Besides, it's late, and I have to make some calls.

I press the phone icon on the touch screen and find Danny's number. The sound of its ringtone echoes through the car via the hands-free system. Within two rings she answers.

"kundrra Hall," she says in her familiar Scottish brogue.

"Danny, it's Karan."

"Master Karan...I mean-"

"It's okay, Danny, don't worry," I interrupt her, with a quick glance at Teju, who's now looking at me. "Is the Hideout or the Lookout available this weekend?"

"I think they're both available, my-"

"And next week?"

"The Lookout is booked for a weekend clay shoot."

"I'll take the Hideout, then."

Appropriate.

"I need"-I glance at Teju's pale face-"I need two of the rooms made up and some of my clothes and toiletries brought over from the Hall."

"You'll not be staying at the Hall?"

"Not at the moment, no."

"Two rooms, you say?"

I had hoped for one....

"Yes, please. And could you ask Jessie to stock the fridge for breakfast and maybe a snack tonight. And some wine and some beer. Tell her to improvise."

"Of course, milord. When will you be arriving?"

"Late tonight."

"Of course. Is everything all right, sir?"

"Everything's fine. Oh, and, Danny, can we get the piano tuned?"

"I had all of them tuned yesterday. You mentioned you wanted them all done when you were here."

"That's great. Thanks, Danny."

"You're welcome, my-" I press the OFF button before she finishes.

"Would you like to listen to some music?" I ask Teju. She turns red-rimmed eyes to me, and my chest tightens. "Okay," I say, not waiting for her answer. On the media screen, I find what I hope will be a soothing album and press PLAY. The sound of acoustic guitars fills the car, and I relax a little. We have a long drive ahead.

"Who is this?" Teju asks.

"A singer-songwriter called Ben Howard."

She stares at the screen for a moment, then goes back to gazing out the window.

I reflect on all my past interactions with Teju in light of what she's told me today. Now I understand why she's been so reticent around me, and my heart is leaden. In my fantasies I'd imagined that when I was finally alone with her, she would be laughing and carefree, gazing at me with adoring doe eyes. The reality is very different.