Prologue

At eight years old, Lily considered herself quite the grown-up, she was only two years younger than her brother after all. That didn't mean that she could walk home alone though. Lily was walking home from school on that day, following her brother Sam and his friend, Kyle, like she always did.

Kyle was their next door neighbor so he walked home with them from school every day. he was also the boy that Lily was planning on marrying, whether he liked it or not. she just knew that he was the one, her mate. she hoped that one day he would look at her like her dad looked at her mom, as if she was his whole world.

she was so busy daydreaming about her future marriage that she didn't notice that the two boys had started running home without her. "Sam wait!" she shouted, trying to catch up with them on her tiny legs, "Kyle!".

Either they didn't hear her, or they didn't care that she was far behind them now. They kept running until they were so far ahead of her that there was no way she could catch up. She tried to run faster, hating that they had left her behind, but she ended up tripping on the uneven sidewalk, scraping her knees and hands on the rough ground.

she looked down at her knees and when she saw the torn skin and blood, she couldn't hold back her tears. She hated crying because crying was for babies, but she hated blood even more. after looking at her scraped up hands, she cried even harder, her sobs loud and ugly. Even though she knew the way home, she didn't know if she could walk there all alone. She wanted her mom or her dad.

she waited for a few minutes, hoping Sam and Kyle would come back for her but when there was no sign of them, she struggled to her feet. Her legs felt stiff and sore as she stood up. she started hobbling down the street but stopped when she heard a car driving slowly next to her. She looked to the side to see a man pulling over and getting out of his car. he walked over, stopping a few feet away from her.

"Hi there, I saw you fall down. are you OK?" he asked.

Lily knew that she was meant to talk to strangers, so she kept quiet and took a small step back.

"Hey, it's all right. I just want to help" he said soothingly. "I can see you're hurt".

Lily nodded, letting a few more tears escape. "it's sore" she whispered, but he seemed to hear her quiet words.

"I know honey, maybe I can get you home" he suggested, pointing to his car.

"mom said I mustn't get into cars with strangers", "I'm now a stranger though, I know your parents"

"If you know them then what are their names?" Lily asked, thinking that was a good test to prove his words.

He smiled at her. "Rose and Grayson. and your name is Lily". Lily was surprised.

"I can take you home to your mom. I am sure you want to see her, don't you?". Lily bit her lip while she thought about it. her mom did say that it was only strangers she mustn't trust, and this man didn't seem like a stranger. she thought for a bit, but she eventually agreed.

She was about to take his hand when she heard her mom scream her name. Lily spun to see her mom running towards them, looking panicked.

"Mommy" Lily exclaimed in happiness. she tried to run to her mom, but the man was holding her hand and wouldn't let go, "I want my mom!" said Lily to the man so. But instead of letting her go, he started pulling her towards his car.

"No! Let her go" her mom shouted as she got closer.

Lily started crying again, not understanding what was happening. Just as the man was pushing her into the car, her mom grabbed his arm and Lily heard a snap. The man screamed in pain and let go of Lily's hand.