Chapter Nineteen

I look at my reflection in the mirror, smiling in satisfaction. My brown hair is thrown in a messy bun with a few loose strands laying against my dry skin. The mole on my cheek is on display from the lack of make-up, complementing the jeans and t-shirt.

"I thought you were going to a meeting." Julian meets my tired eyes in the mirror.

"Do I look that bad?"

"No, you look beautiful in anything you wear. I just don't think it's the most...professional choice of clothing."

I want to argue and say it doesn't matter, but I don't. "You're right."

I slide past him into the bedroom, reopening the closet by the bed. My hands tear through the clothing, trying to find something that will both support my fib and keep Hudson from getting the wrong idea.

"What time do you think you'll be back tonight?"

If all goes well, "I won't be too late."

I pull off the t-shirt and throw on a nice sweater. The jeans are nice enough to not look too casual. I sit on the edge of the bed to tuck my feet into a pair of boots.

"I was going to meet a buddy for a little bit while you're out."

It's tempting to tell him not to go, cancel on Hudson, and just stay here. I shake off that idea. Julian going out with a friend is the perfect distraction for me to accomplish what I need to.

I stand, adjusting the shirt. On my way out, I stop in front of his relaxed figure. "That's fine. I'm gonna go ahead and go, but I'll let you know when I'm on my way back." I plant a quick kiss on his lips. "Love you."

He calls "Love you too," out to me as I walk out of the bedroom and to the front door.

A sick feeling has settled in my gut, but I ignore my instinct to turn back. I can't keep running away.

***

My leg bounces uncontrollably, shaking the bench I'm currently seated on. I check the clock on my phone for about the hundredth time in the past fifteen minutes.

The sidewalk is littered with people, but none of them are Hudson. I cross my legs, hoping to stop the shake, as I scratch the itch on my arm.

"Hey, Babe. You look nice." Hudson's freshly shaven face comes into view. He isn't wearing his usual suit, and it's an unusually nice sight.

"You're late." I cross my arms and turn my nose up at him.

He plops down on the bench next to me. "I had some things to finish up."

I stop myself from making a snide remark.

He puts his arm on the back of the bench behind me, his arm lightly grazing the back of my neck. My skin jumps at the contact. I reach up and pull his arm away.

"So why did you want to meet?" he asks.

If I'm going to say the things burning in my mind, I need some liquid courage. "Let's go." I stand. I don't wait to see if he's following me.

***

"If you wanted to get me drunk, Babe, all you had to do was ask."

"Just sit down." I slide onto one of the bar stools and ask the bartender for a drink. The second the glass is set in front of me, I pick it up and chug the burning liquid.

"Wow, I didn't peg you for a drinker."

"Only when I'm stressed," I mumble before gulping down another glass.