Skip

Skip sighed and slumped against the door as it slid shut behind him. He knew that when he brought Becbee onto the ship that there could be complications. What he had not expected was for one of his oldest crew members and best friends to turn into a radical and try to kill her. He lifted his hand, pulling his long white braid to his chest, his fingers running over it idly as he thought. If he could have furrowed his brow, he would have. As it was, his ears were pinned back tightly against the sides of his head, his eyes narrowed to slits.

He had told Jax that he needed to tell him everything, and Jax had done that. What he had thought was going to be a confession of a mistake had been so much more. A mistake in maintenance he could forgive, but this... Could this be forgiven? Jax had joined a group of radical OutBelts, had then learned the truth about the Vidvhan's involvement with their lost war, and still had gone through with this thing. Jax was clearly sorry, he was clearly repentant. He was the very picture of regret, but the fact of the matter was he might still lose Becbee.

Her mother had trusted him with the life of her daughter, the one thing she valued more than anything in the universe, and whether or not she would live was still so up in the air. Skip felt the crushing weight of failure bearing down on his shoulders and it felt like inevitability. He had no idea how to proceed with Jax. He had no idea what to say to Himey or Nimoy, any of them really. His terminal pinged and shook him from his reverie. He released his braid and pulled the slim device from his pocket. The alert was from Mumru, requesting that he come to the cockpit. Skip sighed, replying to Mumru that he was on his way before he slid the terminal back into his pocket. He took a rallying breath, flipped his braid back over his shoulder and did an about face, striding right out of his quarters and towards the cockpit.

Skip pressed a hand to the terminal outside the cockpit door to alert Mumru of his presence and waited for the pilot to allow him entry. The door slid open and he was a little surprised to see Mumru was a swirling mess of beige and mustard yellow. He stepped inside the cockpit, allowing the door to slide closed behind him, his ears lifting in concern. "What's the matter?" he said, his hands lifted in a gesture that to an Agean would indicate willingness to aid in whatever way was possible.

"We need to speak," said Mumru.

"Ok," Skip replied, "I'm here." He leaned against the door frame and waited. He knew if he pressed Mumru he would not get the full story, and he felt that he needed to hear the full story.

"I have left the collective," Mumru said, "and I have a plan, but it could be dangerous, but it might also raise Becbee from her current state." Skip felt like the ship had done a fast maneuver while he had been walking down a hallway. He blinked, his ears twitching up in surprise.

"I-" he started, but Mumru began to talk again and he quickly bit back his questions.

"I have been Noding for a few weeks, I realize that I should have probably told you the instant I made the decision, but it felt deeply personal. My reasons for becoming Odvojeno are complicated in their specificities, but simple at the root."

"Ok," said Skip. He didn't want to press Mumru for an explanation, though every nerve in his body was sparking with the nervous energy of a mystery.

"The Collective has become more unified in recent years and I did not agree with the unification. The direction of the thoughts were... unsettling to me. The Collective began to view other species in a hostile light and, instead of seeking to bridge the differences, they have chosen the way of hatred and despondency. I have flown with you for a long time, Skip, I enjoy the different species we house on this ship, and your willingness to give all a chance, no matter how poorly that has turned out in the past. This is a quality that I honor and would not disrespect you in such a way as to participate in The Collective while it is dead set on hating you. The decision was very difficult for me, but through conversations with Becbee, I was able to come to what I believe was the right decision. My one voice in the roiling mass of the Collective was not enough to sway them. So I have chosen the path of exile." The Coruso stopped speaking, but Skip said nothing, watching the anxiety and uncertainty swirl their colorful patterns across Mumru.

"I understand if my disconnection to The Collective creates an impediment for you in my future employment, which brings me to the Becbee situation. She did me a great service and helped me with my journey. She alone could understand my hesitancy and internal struggle. While Vidvhan do not have a Collective, they do share memories and thoughts in a similar way to Coruso, and through her I was able to find the bravery that I lacked. So before my employment is terminated I would like to make an effort to repay her, by bringing her back to herself."

"Your... employment..." said Skip slowly.

"Yes, I know that much of the value in having a Coruso is their connection to the Collective and that my usefulness would be diminished without this. I have chosen to Node with other Odvojeno, so I am not without the voices of others, but it is not as far reaching as The Collective. I can still pilot this vessel, but in the markets I may not be as much of a service. I understand that this may be an impediment that you are unwilling to overcome. However, I also ask that you allow me to do this one thing before I am relieved of my duties."

"You–" Skip started, but again Mumru cut him off.

"It was Nimoy who broached the subject actually. He came in here wondering if there was a way to... hmm... How did he say it..." Skip allowed the Coruso to think without interruption. "Ah yes, bridge the gap."

"The gap?"

"Yes, he believes that if we can get Himey's mind into Becbee's that she will be able to fish her out of wherever she is. She is still reading normal on all her brain scans according to Asimov. My theory is that she retreated deep into her Mindspace to hide her consciousness away. You and Nimoy don't have the telepathic abilities that I and Becbee do and since Oppenheimer is so close to Becbee, that perhaps if anyone could pull her out she could."

"But with your skills, can't you go fish her out? Without involving Himey?" Skip asked.

"No," replied Mumru shortly. "I have already tried, wherever she is, she is too deep for me, I could not find her."

"But you think Himey, who has no telepathic ability, could?"

"Yes."

"Why?"

"Because, as close as Becbee and I have become over these months, Becbee views me as a friend only."

"And she views Oppenheimer differently?" Skip asked, his hands lifting to indicate puzzlement.

"She loves her."

"What?"

"Becbee is in love with Oppenheimer, certainly even you Ageans with your walls have noticed it. I don't have eyes and I can see it plain as day. Even if I wasn't telepathic I could see it."

"You could?"

"Yes. How did you get this far in life without being able to read all the signs of affection?"

"I–" Skip started, but stopped as he thought about it. He certainly loved all of his crew, but when was the last time he had felt romantic love? Had he ever? "I don't know that love as a form of romantic attachment is a thing I have ever sought out. I guess that's why it is more difficult for me to recognize maybe?"

"Perhaps," was all Mumru replied.

"So did you find a way to connect the two of them?"

"I think so."

"Is there a risk to Oppenheimer?"

"Yes."

"Does she know?"

"No. I have not told her of this option yet."

"But you are telling me."

"Yes."

"Why?"

"Because, for now, you are my captain," Mumru said simply.