Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

March 13 th , 4035

Kagome scrunched her nose in distaste. The overpowering stench of boiling kryl limbs were among her most hated kitchen scents in the world. They reeked and were incredibly disgusting to watch cook. Severed from a grotesque creature, the slippery, tentacle shaped appendages continued to move several weeks after their severance, often slithering along the edges of the pot, searching for a way out of the scolding water.

They were as creepy as they were revolting.

Holding her breath, she pressed a button on the controller she held. A sleek, silver container hovering nearby drifted forward, and positioned itself over the steaming pot. Pressing the release, she watched as more kryl limbs, potatoes, torpal and seasoning floated gently into the cooking pot, careful not to disrupt the scalding water.

"Cover and boil," Kagome commanded the stove.

A red light atop the industrial stove flashed twice, then flickered yellow. The pot covered, sealing the heat and the horrible scent of boiling meat. Kagome took a moment to breathe in the clean air then turned to the counter behind her. Purple fliier with bright orange spots sat waiting to be squeezed. She placed her hand underneath the small box attached to the wall, waiting as it hissed and dispensed an disinfectant tab. Kagome popped the disk shaped container and rubbed the clear liquid over her hands. Picking up the fliier, she squeezed the potato shaped vegetable until black, viscous liquid oozed, filling the bowl below. While acquiring the substance was a revolting sight, the shiny goo along with its accompanying scent was sweet and savory.

Once the fliier was completely empty, she grabbed the bowl and headed swiftly for the oven, dancing around a trilling Plynus and giggling as she passed by.

"Watch it Higurashi." he teased.

The oven opened as she approached, releasing a digital rack and pan. Kagome dumped the contents into the pan. The oven closed and she made her way back to the stove. The light was green, signaling the kryl had finished cooking. A large soup bowl floated in reach. Linking with the kitchen system, she directed the bowl to the pot, then lifted the cookware and tipped it just enough to let the thick, stinky meal fill the bowl. She held her breath again. Caspte went absolutely crazy for the dish, forking over insane amounts of pernix for a taste.

She moved the meal to the dispenser, where it disappeared, transmitted to the pickup station.

She hurried back to the oven.

Fliier was delicate and prone to burning if one wasn't careful. She removed the now fluffy fliier and placed it on a nearby counter. Reaching up above her, she pulled down knutss and sprinkled them over the blue fluff. Activating the kitchen lazer, she sliced it into eight squares, put them in the freezer and moved on to the next dish.

By the time the lunch crowd rolled through, her feet were aching.

It was another hour before she could catch a few minutes for a midday meal.

"Jeez," she huffed, sitting hard on a stool, "finally a break!"

She was taking lunch with Plynus and Be't today. The trio had ducked into the break room for a much needed break and sustenance before the next wave of hungry customers arrived. Be't was an old female of the Wurmulix species. Tall and vivid orange, her face just beginning to sag with age.

"It will only get worse as the night wears on." Be't reminded her.

"Ugh, don't remind me."

Kagome took a bite of her sandwich then schmoozed up to Plynus, flustering the poor Sh'vek. The Sh'vek were private creatures and easily embarrassed in social situations.