AFTER: Chapter Seven

The floor was icy cold under Cara's feet. It seemed that accessing the Below, even just momentarily, caused quite an iciness to escape and inhabit Earth.

     If only the iciness was real, Cara thought bitterly. In fact, no ice existed in the Below; it was full of fire that seeped into their whole beings and lodged itself deep within, causing pain unequal to any other.

     The humans had it easy (I assure you that they, in fact, did not have it easy, but for the sake of this story, let's just pretend that they did). The Below, yeah, that's where real pain existed. And now Cara was out of it, or at least, what existed inside of her was now out of it.

     Cara stretched her muscles, testing her movements as she stood by her bed, flexing her pale fingers, willing life back into them. She would have felt anxious about the numbness enveloping her entire body if she had not experienced it before. This was common, this was even a good sign of the possession accurately completed. And Cara's voice, her inner voice, that is, was quiet. As it was supposed to be. Cara smirked to herself, pleased with the plan going right. Everything was as it was supposed to be.

     Except...

     "I know you're there."

     This was spoken in Cara's soft voice, not the voice of The Soul, which sounded deeper and more animal-like than anything else. However, there was still power behind it, a persuasion and command that could not be ignored.

     "Enter and stand before me."

     Cara's bedroom door opened slowly, creaking slightly, revealing a figure standing there, shrouded in darkness.

     Cara turned her head to look at her, smiling still.

     "My daughter."