CONSTRUCTING YOUR IMAGE

First and foremost, regardless of your intent on Wattpad, whether it be to write, to edit, to read or to put your graphic design skills to good use.

You need to gather an understanding of a few things alone:

What is your ideal audience?

and

What genre of books do you like to write or to read?

With those two things in mind, you're going to create an image for yourself.

This is shown through your username, reading lists, about me, your display images and of course your character. These are the main pit stops of this chapter, in which we'll be mapping together. This is rather crucial, think of it like this, you're prepping for an audience, and this could be the deciding vote on whether or not they'd be interested in reading your book or for enlisting you to assist their need of a snazzy book cover. Like I said before regardless of your intention on this website, this is a very important aspect of it all.

USERNAME

This is a priority, here's one of the many reasons why.

EXAMPLE ONE

Once you've started putting your books on display you may find yourself unable to change your username to something that seems slightly better than @OREOLOVER1234.

This is mainly because this is how your fans have grown to address you as.

Like your About Me, this is including snippets of your personality buried beneath words and their meanings. Here's an example on a rather iffy username and a rather sophisticated one and dissecting the username and having a bit of an interview with it:

EXAMPLE TWO

IFFY USERNAME:

@22_Iloveyou

Why did you choose this username?

Well, a lot of usernames on Wattpad are in use and this sounded okay.

GOOD USERNAME:

@Alure_

Why did you choose this username?

I've always loved the word itself and there was this book I read and the author made this amazing connection between allure and the physical and mental attachment of two souls. It was that, and my tendency to write romance novels.

USERNAME TIPS AND TRICKS

- Some people find numbers to be unappealing to the eye

- One worded usernames are very well liked amongst the Wattpad community as well as being rather eye-catching. (If the word itself isn't free for example @Royal you can always add @Royal_ or even @Royaal or even @Royaal_ all have a very nice look about them.

- Imagine it on a book cover and put yourself in the situation of purchasing a book and not knowing whether to choose between @OREOLOVER1234 and @22_iloveyou and @KaitlinChambers or even @Royal

You'd feel the last two had a bit more of a sophistication about them over the other two.

- If you'd like your account to remain anonymous create a pen name like Royal but if you are okay with it use your full name or just you first or even your first and your middle name (I think it to be more professional.)

ABOUT ME

When constructing the scaffold of this nifty little thing, keep this trick in mind. Think of this in the context of Ice Cream tasters, the ones that are often displayed at said stores when trialling their latest flavours. What you need to focus on is giving your audience little popsicle-stick-taste-testers of your personality. No, too much to know your life story, but little snippets to get an idea of the type of person you are. This way it's easier to create a connection on a somewhat personal level, whether it be a favourite book or a seemingly perfectly fictitious character. Below I'll include two examples of this.

THE LIFE-STORY

Hey, y'all!

My name is Violet, but my friends call me V or Vi and I really love to write.

So when I found this website, I sorta fell in love and I really hope you enjoy my books

make sure to give me some feedback and to vote and what not. I'm sixteen, I was born July 4th which here in America celebrates its Independence. I'm originally from Georgia, and my favourite place to write is on my horse that's called Rosa (Which is pink in Spanish if you weren't familiar with the term.) When I'm older I'm hoping to get published one day and it's been a dream of mine since I was young.

LOVE YOU ALL

xxxxxxxxx

Violet, V, or Vi

(Whatever you prefer.)

JUST RIGHT

Violet

Sixteen

Aspiring writer

July 4th

Looking For Alaska

Vi

xxxx

Basically, sum up everything in a word or two and then you have your about me done and dusted.

I've put together a few tips for your About Me, things that have become quite popular over the past couple of years within the community.

TIPS AND TRICKS

- Authors have grown fond of elaborating personal facts through singular words

- People are having the tendency to centre their About Me

- Addressing yourself in nickname form, I find readers are able to connect with you on more of a friend orientated level.

- Use full words, proper use of punctuation and grammar- in this paragraph, a reader is able to determine what the belief the standard and quality of your books.

DISPLAY IMAGES

Like everything else mentioned within this chapter, this is an important aspect as to how you are viewed by the community. Like I said before, think of what genre you like to read and write and apply that to when you find and use an image. Try opting toward finding an image that you can link yourself to somewhat, whether it be through interests or your personal style.

TIPS AND TRICKS

- To find an image, use Weheartit or Tumblr

- Find something that you like and you find include bits and pieces of your personality.

__

I hope you enjoyed this chapter, any questions you'd like for me to go over, just comment down below.

With love

xxxx

NEXT CHAPTER

Getting your name out there, how to plan and how to create a character with a realistic depth with beliefs and likes and dislikes.