Chapter 1 (New place, Old friend)

(Lorenzo's point of view)

August 3, 2019.

My grandfather managed to get enough money and decided to move us across the country for drastic measures. I had asked him why we needed to leave quickly as my brother and I packed our belongings into moving boxes but he didn't give us a clear answer. He would often say "not to worry about it" or "It's for your own good."

  My brother had better luck with him by finding out about our destination but that only happened because he annoyed Grandpa with questions. He is very 'convincing' at times. We found out that we'd be moving to an old town our grandfather used to live in back in the late 80s. We had heard before the long stories of how he grew up in the capital of Italy, Rome, and migrated here for more job opportunities. However, he desired to go back to his true home someday. Now he's stuck with his grandkids... Even so, he never complained about having custody of us. He would be like any other grandparent, just there to comfort and take care of us. He eagerly wanted to move out of the city when it all happened.

  As the journey began, he would keep saying how we would enjoy the town and the people more than where we were before. He thought it might do us some good to experience a change of environment. I completely doubt his reasoning; I didn't want to leave my old city, my old house, my old life. Regardless, my brother acted the same, claiming ,"It's an opportunity to start fresh." I swear I hate when he gets so confident & bubbly, people-pleasing isn't going to get you far in life. He's been acting optimistic and outgoing to the point that it's concerning. I think it might be a way for him to cope with what happened. Anyhow, my brother has been trying to cheer us up by looking into the 'bright side'. I don't find it helpful since that horrible mess in summer- you know what, I'm not going to get into details! I want to forget everything...

   As the car moved, I closed my eyes as I tried to relax. I opened them again, getting a glimpse out the window at the view, all quiet trees and forest around us as the sun attempts to shine amongst the leaves. The sun turned into warm vibrating colors on the horizon, making me feel like we'd been in this vehicle for ages. I have been stuck in the backseat with my brother this whole trip because it would be 'hazardous' for either of us to go beside our Grandpa. He stated it he 'wanted space' but we all knew that wasn't the truth. Regardless of whatever the old man said, we soon saw the welcoming sign of the town indicating we had arrived. Grandpa drove into an open gate and parked the car in front of some apartments; They didn't look in an awful condition though something seemed sinister about them. I stepped out of the car and stretched my body as I breathed in the clean air. My back ached intensely, probably from all the slouching.

  My brother got out of the car and assisted Grandpa by getting our luggage and other things from the trunk. I headed to help with the boxes until a guy came out from the apartment's main office close by. I gazed at him, he looked around the same age as me. He had softly curled brown locks and these mesmerizing greenish-gold eyes. Nice figure I might add, N-Not like I'm staring at his-. He just wasn't bad-looking, okay!

Suddenly, Grandpa came out of the apartment and looked at him with glee. "Oh my, how have you been? I haven't seen you or your family in ages. You've already grown into such a fine man!"

  By the sound of his joyful voice, he was very close with this dude. He would have a firm tone with us even if he was in a good mood. The guy smiled softly at him, so calming & genuine.

"Senor Romulus, I've been doing great! Sorry that my father & brother couldn't be here to help you unpack, they are away on a business trip but they were thrilled to hear you were coming back to town."

'Romulus'? Since when does Grandpa let anyone call him by his first name? He doesn't even let me and my brother call him that, only Grandpa or Grandfather. Who does this guy even think he is anyway? I've never seen or heard any mention of this mysterious dude and now Grandpa acting all different around him!  Lost in thought, I should've hidden before Grandpa noticed me nearby and pulled me towards the guy.

"I want you to meet my lovely grandson Lorenzo; he's a few months younger than you! He's such a shy guy but I'm sure you two will get along fine."

He said it jovially as if he had forgotten I have never had friends before, that's my brother's job you have the wrong twin. He left my side and went inside the apartment. I tried to give a little smile, I dreaded it. Would it be rude if I didn't smile? It's just the two of us, it shouldn't matter. However, he looked into my eyes and smiled back at me.

"Nice to meet you, Lorenzo, I'm Antonio."

As he shook my hand, I got a chance to look at his face more. He looked handsome up close; he had a good facial structure and cute dimples when he smiled and had such adorable freckles- I should stop staring at him before it gets weird.01001000 01100101 00100000 01110111 01101001 01101100 01101100 00100000 01100010 01100101 00100000 01101101 01101001 01101110 01100101

As soon as we pulled our hands away, I cleared my throat before speaking, "Nice to meet you, Antonio."

"You know, Lorenzo is such a cute name!" He continued to grin at me. I wonder how he hadn't gotten tired; I can barely hold a smile for less than a few seconds, not counting the time I had to pretend to smile when Grandpa announced that we were moving all the way here.

"It's not cute. It-It's cool," I stated as my face heated up out of frustration, my name wasn't anything remotely cute! How dare he say such a thing! But..why did it make me feel nice...? Is he being genuine or messing with me? I am completely confused. I don't know anything about this guy. Maybe I should be talking more and get to know him. That could work, right?

Before I could evoke another word to him, I heard my brother yelling for me as he came toward us. I groaned mentally; why couldn't I be left alone for at least a few minutes...

"Fratello, come on! Stop lounging around and help me carry all these boxes, they are extremely heavy," he whined loudly at me as he attempted to pick one of the boxes up. I simply rolled my eyes as I thought of a way to make fun of him but Antonio, concerned for him, left my side and quickly took the boxes out of my brother's hands.

My brother sighed in relief as the weight was lifted, god he can't handle anything, "Oh Thank you so much! My arms were aching a lot."

"You're welcome. You should try carrying something lighter so you don't trip or get any more aches"

"Yeah that's great advice"

I sighed as I watched them. I'm stuck with two dumb people with no logic whatsoever. As I went to leave, Antonio called for me.

"Hey Lorenzo, Where do I put these?"

"Um..I think it's Apartment 516,"

"Oh cool, I'm in 512."