Chapter 1

Raven POV

      UMS Skeld. A ship that everyone desires to find themselves on. A ship most would do about anything to get onto, especially to be under the infamous Captain Marlan Davis. A man with willpower made of steel who single-handedly helped shape Mira into what it is now. A most loyal ally to the great nation of Mira that has helped defend Spero for many a decade.

     I don't have the same sentiments.

     I got myself on this ship with only one goal in mind. And looking at the blue hologram of Polus, I am exactly where I need to be. Right here in navigation, dressed in the black uniform like a good little mindless soldier, I will analyze every detail of this mysterious planet to find Her.

    Little is known of Polus except it's below-freezing temperatures and the fact it is one of the first Mira compounds to exist. Other than that, Polus is a puzzle no one has yet solved. Not even the sketchy report from the crew who recently went to Polus helped the situation; most of the messages sent had disjointed words or were lost entirely due to bad signal. And all history of the place is conveniently wiped from memory.

    Which leaves my task of navigating all the more difficult. There could be any number of things between us and the planet: asteroids, black holes, alien ships. You get the picture.

    "Raven!" And there is my annoyingly nosy crewmate Adrielle who I have no choice but to work with on this mission. A woman whose fiery personality can make anyone forget her short stature, Adrielle earned her reputation as a stickler for rules. Often scaring others with those silver eyes that glared at others like daggers. Nothing felt better than knowing that those said eyes would be glaring at me, the resident rule breaker, for the entirety of these five months. Joy.

    "Adrielle! What a lovely surprise to see you in my humble domain," I gestured at the steel-encased nothingness of the navigation room. The hologram map barely lit up the sparse room with its dull blue glow. Not that there is much to be seen except a couple uncomfortable looking chairs surrounding the table.

     "Your domain?! How are you even here?! I thought you had been suspended involuntarily for six months!"

    "Well to be fair, Rory had it coming," I started, remembering the big ball of red fury that hit me like a raging bull. The shiners I left on his broad, broken nose and eye were satisfying reminders.

    "Had-," she scoffed, almost dropping her com-pad as she flinged her hands. "You humiliated him in front of the entire academy!"

    "It isn't my fault that he didn't know geography. Who doesn't know where Spero is! We live on it!"

    "So you thought it was okay for you to lay into him in the cafeteria!" She screeched, my ears ringing in protest.

    I clenched my fists in defiance, face hardening as I remembered his insults about Her before I forced myself to relax and let out a breath. I need to keep my cool if I am to make it on this ship with barely an incident to my name if that is possible.

    "You do realize he's on this ship right?"

     Never mind.

    "Rory? That meat for brains?!" I couldn't be more irritated. If he's part of our security detail and things go wrong, we are so fucked.