Flourine

They sat in the incident room with the autopsy results back on Suzanne. Harris left them when he was in. The preliminaries on Jennifer only confirmed their hypothesis. She did not drown in the pool. The water in her lungs was fresh water. Harris had taken a sample back for analysis. He had also indicated some burns to the back of the legs, arms, and torso. Wherever she was, she had gone through a period of heating and cooling. They had almost boiled her at some point. He also suggested that she had been sexually assaulted.

"Okay. Sarah and I have to speak with Jennifer's parents in Rockport. See if we can get more information on the three girls. Maria is not awake yet."

"Also, I think we need to be prepared for another body. I know we have nothing misper-wise. But I think we need to maybe have a look at any homeless charities and check if they are missing any regulars. Because there is an Earth- Maria, she got to live. God knows how she will deal with it, but she is here to tell the tale. Then fire-Suzanne-who we now know was doused in gasoline and set alight. While she was alive, Jennifer was water-drowned slowly over days. To my mind, and trust me, I do not wish for it; there has to be air."

"Andersson. Do you think they are witch trials?" Rebekka Hannah nervously said, "I mean, being burned and drowned, that's what they did to witches, wasn't it?"

There were murmured giggles in the room but not from the FBI agent.

"I hope not. But those words stay in this room for the time being. I have arranged to meet Dr. Garrison Helberg, who runs the Salem Museum, tomorrow."

The room laughed, "Oh, you're in for a treat; he's a fruit loop. Believes in faeries and pukwudgies," Joe Carter laughed.

"Anyway, get an early night," Sarah commanded the group, "It's been a long day at the start of a difficult few weeks."

...

"How far is Rockport?" Taylor said, buckling up in the passenger seat.

She hadn't returned to the hotel since Carson picked her up this morning. That was over 14 hours ago now.

"A little over 15 miles. It's right on the coast. It's a lovely place, actually. Carson Sr and I often come down here to a seafood restaurant. Amazing lobster if it's your thing."

"Never tried it," Taylor smiles, "Seems like too much hard work with hammers and pliers."

"Ha, that's more crabs I think you're thinking of."

"Well, I've not had them either."

"You got anyone special in your life?"

The personal question struck Taylor.

"You said I should just ask, so I'm asking," The police chief smiled.

"No," Andersson shook her head, "Not for a long while. There was someone once. But she's happily married to someone else now."

"Work?"

"Yeah, I don't know where I'll be or how long I'll be away. Doesn't really make the basis of a good relationship," Taylor smiled sadly.

"You'd like someone, though."

"Doesn't everyone?" She turned the radio up a little. "Sorry, I love this song."

"What is it with lesbians and Miley Cyrus," Sarah laughed, "Bailey is the same."

"What can I say? She's hot, and she can belt out a tune. What's not to like."

They both laughed. Despite the day they'd had. The horrors they'd seen. The news they were going to deliver. It didn't feel out of place. Quite the opposite; in fact, it was the perfect tonic.