Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Pretending to hide

They were at Panch Mahal in the neighboring city of Fatehpur Sikri the next day walking through endless corridors carved out of red sandstone.

The smell of rain mixed with earth and its soil soothed her insides. She walked behind the elders, arm in arm with Najma while Asad and Noshini followed them at a far distance.

Wonder what they'd been chatting about?

The wondergirls – a name Noshini and Najma had awarded themselves – had been tensely preoccupied since morning. This was the last day in Agra, they were set to be home tomorrow by evening.

It was do or die.

"So funny what the guide said yesterday, didn't he?" Najma started conversation.

"What did he say?"

"That you and bhaijaan, a couple, I mean can you imagine."

"Yeah, can you?!"

"Actually, I might" Zoya looked at Najma surprised "I mean you guys are like the definition of filmy couples you know what I mean, the moon and the sun, the opposites attract, that's kind of perfect in itself nahi?"

Zoya stopped in her step and gauged Najma's face, mind disorderly. Suspicious, she looked at Noshini.

"What do you mean?" It came out as a stammer; her furrowed brows and brown eyes tense.

An instant passed before Najma guffawed "Oh my god you are so easy!" She exaggerated "Of course, I was joking"

Zoya repeated trying to regulate breathing.

"Of course, you were joking."

"Seriously, Asad, I'm not kidding" Noshini expressed a couple feet behind from the duo "Tell me, how much fun did you guys really have with Zo here. I mean isn't she so great!" He simply smiled reminiscing the critical to project CD in cake, his living room covered in electric wires, a broken password protected phone.

"I mean now that she'll be leaving soon, it must feel a little weird" A sharp turn of head told her she was on right track.

"She told you she's leaving soon", his voice reduced to a dejected whisper.

"I mean of course, I assume we'll travel together to N.Y. unless she wants to stay and travel more", she responded casually shrugging shoulders.

Asad had a mind to announce an all-India tour from Jammu Kashmir to Kanyakumari.

"But you know what it's okay, Aapi told me they were looking for an Indian groom, so she might keep coming back here to spend holidays"

Asad's mind blocked rest of the conversation, safeguarding itself.

"I, myself am so excited to visit you guys again. This trip has been so great so far tha..."

He heard nothing.

"...and then with Zoya getting married" The words kept fading into the background "... Mr. Khan?" She stopped before he had an aneurysm. He sure looked like it.

"You gotta say it, man" The tone changed. Asad looked at her quizzically.

"Whatever it is that you have to say to her, you've got to. Remember there's no undo buttons in real life so now would be the time."

And with that Noshini walked away leaving him completely stunned.

***

"So? The big gun has been fired"