A Letter From Dietfried

From Dietfried Baugainvillea to Petrich Hollenburg:

My Dear Boy,

Oh, to be a fly crawling upon the wall whenever you announced to Claudia Hodgins that you had made his only daughter your lifelong celestial scribe assistant! More over, how her mother took it! The Baudelaire-Hodgins pair are a force to reckon with, to be sure.  Your charm must have been in full bloom during your lease time in their attic. Certainly when it came to wooing their little Ellenora! Tsk! Tsk!
Ah! Now, I can already see the  horrified expression on your face over such undignified commentary. How far we've come from those bonnie, by-gone days of scandalous Grand Showings, dear Petrich!  Being in the presence of one such as Ellenora Baudelaire-Hodgins has made you a true gentleman. I dare say, her mother, Cattleya tended to always have that effect on me, believe it, or not!

As you can see, I have sent to you the last trunk of your belongings from when you were an unloved outcast of Justitia. It has been tucked away here for nearly seven years! It just almost found its way out to the rubbish heap, but I thought better of it, so here it is. You're welcome!

My brother's son will be arriving soon to stay for the season.  Although he will not say, methinks Brother Gilbert is none too amused of my making Hilary my sole heir.  I feel quite certain, however, Mother Violet had much to do with his acceptance. She is far more intelligent of practicality than my brother has ever been or ever will be. Hilary has the mind of a shipping merchant, not a farmer tending a vineyard on a remote island. Furthermore, now that Ellenora will be residing with you on said island, he could very well have thoughts of wanting to start his life anew elsewhere. Do not despair, dear Petrich. Ever since you arrived on Ecarte Island, the family Baugainvillea have welcomed you with the most opened of arms, Hilary included, but even I can not blame him for the want of going away. One must admit, we all thought the children were destined for one another, but the gods, (or in your case, the heavens) saw the future differently. Be this as it may.
While I host a brooding Hilary, I shall be on the hunt for him a proper wife. Not to say your Ellenora is in anyway improper, mind you. Only, I cannot fathom her being too thrilled of managing an estate such as mine.

I am on my way out west again, destined for Blyden. I look forward to my seaweed and salt treatments every six months or so.   I plan to disembark in Dresgorn in search of my favored pipe tobacco, as well as a light bistro luncheon. I will leave word for Ms. Fitzhugh, for I am sure you have inquiry as to her well being.

I shall close by saying how relieved I am that you have finally found your bound assistant in Ellenora. If the girl has in her a mere drop of her mother's tenacity, then she will be the most treasured of any lifelong partner.
I shall also say, although I completely understand your reservation, do not cut loose your ability to have children with her. Or else you'll be looking at Randell Hodgins as your heir, and he's far too much his father in temperament!

May the gods be with you,
Deitfried