An Unusual Elevator Ride

Jack had been summoned to the penthouse office.

The message had simply read: "I am interviewing new clients today; I'd like you to assist in the process. Come to my office."

Mr Johnson had never summoned his son before.

"When Mr Johnson requests your presence, one has to drop everything." It didn't matter that Jack was his son. As the CEO of the world's leading tech company, Amatech, Mr Johnson was an especially busy man – one with little time for his family. Named in the Forbes top 100 most influential individuals of 2021, Jack's father is a prominent figure in society with the money and power to influence even governments.

So why is he suddenly asking for my help? Jack could only wonder as he entered Amatech's Headquarters; a high-rise office building that towered over the canopy of skyscrapers in this concrete jungle.

Jack's duo of bodyguards, Tom and Michael, shadowed him as they always did, never too far from his side. He considered them more his carers than his own father, and why not? They looked after him and spent time with him as any good parent should. From a young age, they'd protected Jack from those that wished harm upon him and his father.

There was a small army of security officers guarding the entrance with assault rifles and body armour. Visitors and employees alike had to go through rows of metal detectors and baggage checks just to enter the premises. Jack strolled passed them all with a nod.

The lobby was bustling with activity as waves of workers ebbed and flowed against each other, going about their business. As Jack made his way across, the sea parted before him, giving him easy access to the central lift. He often wondered why Tom and Michael needed to accompany him here; everyone recognised him as Johnson's son and acted accordingly.

There was a queue outside the lift, which quickly dissipated upon Jack's arrival. Conveniently, the lift opened with a ding almost straight away and he entered, followed by his bodyguards.

It was as if the world itself was ushering Jack along to his father. Part of him was grateful – being late meant severe repercussions. But he was also apprehensive, what was in store for him at the penthouse? Hesitantly, he pressed the button at the top of the panel and scanned his VIP identity card for access.

The central lift was spacious – around two square meters in length and width – with enough room to comfortably fit another ten bodyguards the size of Tom and Michael. The floor was wooden panelled and squeaky clean; the walls were stainless steel and filled with giant mirrors and a diamond chandelier was hanging from the ceiling. The whole lift was reflective, forcing Jack to see himself wherever he looked. It was as if it was forcing him to self-reflect on why he was there, in that lift. He was being summoned by his father.

The lift shuddered into life and started to ascend the floors at a rapid pace. It should only take two minutes to reach the top – helped by the fact that it wasn't going to make any stops along the way. It was impossible for someone else to hail the lift whilst the penthouse was input as the destination. So Jack was puzzled when the lift began to slow down half way through the journey.

"Tom?"

The bodyguard closest to the panel scanned his key card and started fiddling with the buttons to no avail, the lift continued to slow.

"What's going on?"

"I'm not sure Master Jack, please step to the back of the lift." Tom and Michael stepped in front of him, forming a wall of muscle between him and the doors.

By now, the lift was creeping to a stop. Everything seemed to come to a standstill – only the diamonds hanging from the chandelier swayed subtly, as if sensing the nervous energy.