Chapter One: The Tryouts

The morning light peered through the curtains and cast shadows along the floor and walls of the Forbes household. Caroline lay quietly asleep on the bed with her neck revealed to have blood and a bite. The pillow area next to her wounded throat had blood stains against it along with smears. Her blue eyes fluttered open as she squinted from the rays of light that beamed against her face. A powder blue lingerie with defined red stripes along the seams gripped Caroline's bust the rest flowing down across her stomach and legs. Her hands were placed against her abdomen as she glanced over to see the man sleeping beside her. Damon Salvatore seemed to be asleep and as her mind began to devise a plan, she had one shot. She needed to exit her room, escape, and contact help before Damon woke up. Turning her body, Caroline quietly began to slip from the bed. Thankfully, she had been laying on top of the blanket so there was no need to move any of the covers. Hanging her legs over the edge of the bed, she moved from a half seated position to a seated position as her toes pressed against the hardwood flooring. The outline of a star tattoo was present against the top of her right foot. Carefully, she stood, wincing slightly as she feared the sound the floorboards made beneath her feet. Tiptoeing her way toward the door, she frequently glanced at Damon to ensure he was still sleeping. As she approached the door, the floorboard beneath her left foot made a creaking noise. She quickly released the pressure from it and slipped toward the door, her fingers delicately pressed against the knob. Biting her bottom lip, she shot one more glance at Damon before she began to twist the knob. The sound from the knob was a mere whisper, there was no way he would awaken, Caroline felt confident in her quiet attempts to seek help. Twisting the knob completely, the door mechanism retracted and she was about to press open the door as she turned for the final time but fear began to creep into her body. Damon Salvatore was no longer in bed. Pulling her hand away from the knob, she breathed in shallowly as she desperately glanced around the bed, where had he gone? Turning back to face the bedroom door, she is met face to face with the man who had been sleeping so soundlessly.

"Good morning." A wicked grin spreads across his lips as Caroline steps backward, trying to get away from him. He shook his head as she stared at him.

"Please... Don't!" The pain on her face only excited him more as fear peaked into her blue eyes. He stared back with icicles of pleasure piercing from his ice-cold eyes. His wicked grin was still present as he stepped toward her. Instinctively, Caroline tried to find something, anything, to defend herself with. The lamp, that had sat on the end table beside the bed was her only weapon option. Retrieving it, she ripped it from the wall as Damon's smirk faded.

"Don't do that." Holding it high, she swung at him. The smack resounded but no damage was done and he felt little pressure against his face. Though she had managed to move his head to the side. Slowly, he turned back to look at her. Looking into her eyes, she lifted the lamp, wanting to go for another swing. "Ah, ah, ah!" He exclaimed, scaring her enough that she lowered the lamp in defeat.

"No, no, no! Get away from me!" She dropped the lamp to the ground and grabs her blood-covered pillow. Chucking it at him, the blood hits against his nose, his thirst rising. Damon stares at her and shakes his head.

"It didn't need to go this way." Veins began to appear beneath his eyes as they turned red. Caroline's face drops in fear as he darts toward her. Gripping one side of her throat and slamming his teeth into the other side. Another piercing scream escapes her lips as he feeds from her already wounded throat.

The lawns out front of Mystic Falls High were covered with students preparing for their days to begin. Amy and Emma were walking along the front walkway following behind Bonnie until she stopped and turned. "So, it went really well?" She wiggled her eyebrows as the twins abruptly stopped behind her. With a smile, Amy nodded.