Peach Tea

'What are you looking for?'

"Oh!" Akechi sat down, resting his hands on his lap. "Sorry for leaning over the table like that. Awfully rude of me. I had a few coins with me that I was going to use to buy a drink, but now I can't seem to find them. Although they're not in my bag, my pockets, or amongst my belonging, I haven't yet given up the search! Resilience is key, and I-"

'I have tea, do you want some?' Saiki held up an opened can of peach tea.

"Sure, if you don't mind," he said, taking the can. "This'll be sufficient to quench my thirst, at least until I find my money or get some water. Thank you, Kusuo-kun."

Akechi took a sip when Aiura almost stood up out of her seat and pointed at him.

"Ooh!" She giggled. "Never thought you two lovebirds for the PDA type!"

'What...?'

"If you don't mind me asking, what does 'PDA' stand for? I don't believe I'm familiar with the term, though you did call us 'lovebirds,' so I assume it has something to do with that...?"

"It stands for 'public displays of affection,' and TouTou, I gotta say, this was such a cute surprise!"

"Hey, what're you guys talking about?" Toritsuka asked, snapping out of whatever space-cadet trance he was usually stuck in at lunch.

"Why would the abbreviation of such be 'PDA' and not 'PDOA?' Well, there are plenty of abbreviations that work that way, but I never really understood why... I suppose it's to maintain brevity, but isn't that the entire purpose of abbreviating phrases in the first place?" He chuckled. "And now we're having this discussion, which defeats the purpose of shortening it, does it not? Perhaps that's my own fault for prying, but–"

"Yeah, but forget about all that! I mean, I expected it from you two, but I never expected it from you two!"

'What the hell are you talking about?' Saiki slurped his soba nonchalantly.

"I'm with Saiki-san on this one, what are you talking about?"

"What's wrong, too embarrassed to do the real thing...? We already know you're dating and stuff, so there's no worries!"

'You're getting excited over nothing.'

"Yes, again, what are you going on about?"

Aiura looked at them, then at Toritsuka, then leaned into his ear and whispered something.

"Miko-chan, it's rude to whisper. Especially because we're... right here."

'If Touma's thoughts weren't so loud, you'd be in big trouble right now.'

Still doubt I could understand what she was saying if it was anything like that time with Imu.

"Ohhhh." Toritsuka nodded. "That's it...? So what?"

"So what? It's a big deal!"

"Also, what is it with the term 'lovebirds?' I've heard it plenty of times, from media references and from girls at our school, but I've never grasped the origins... I know there are a few species of birds that often cling to their mates, which might be where it originated, but if you've ever seen a bird in a tree— or should I say two birds in a tree, more often than not, they're not actually showing affection, and are either fighting, or aggressively mating, and since Kusuo-kun and I haven't done either, I don't know why–"

'That's enough, Touma...'

"It's just Big Boobs over here," said Toritsuka, pointing to a rather offended Aiura, "Throwing her hissy fit over the two of you drinking out of the same can. It's no big deal."