INTRO 1

This is an Introduction. Before Prologue.

This happens before Knight meet the other Lunatics. Before his engagement to Iuhence’s beloved. He’s just 25 years old here— powerless and obedient.

    (PRIMERO)

    KNIGHT sighed as he looked at the scattered papers and folders on the table in front of him. All of it are reports from the Organòsi’s head of the countries under Asia. Lord Vandreck— the boss of Organòsi in Asia who’s retiring in three years’ time— wants to train him and the others like him who’s eyeing the position.

    There are nine of them who’s fighting to be the boss of Asia. Lord Vandreck’s position. He must try harder to stay on top and to get the position.

    He must become powerful. That’s his goal. Power. A lot of it.

    He’d been eyeing to replace Lord Vandreck’s in his position not because his father insisted but because he needs more power.

    I need power. I need to be stronger.

    At the age of twenty-five, all he could think about was how to become powerful and unbeatable.

    Knight sighed loudly. “Fuck…” I should be looking for my sister! Not staying here, in the Palace, like what his father wanted.

    But he knew all too well what will happen if he goes against his father. Someone will suffer in my stead. Alam na niya kung sino ang paparusahan nito sa lahat ng pagkakamali niya kaya kailangan niyang maging maingat sa lahat ng desisyon at galaw niya.

    His father is holding the ace of cards… he must obey him, no matter what.

    “Someone is in a sour mood.”

    Knight glared sharply at Cloud— his personal butler who’s the same age as him and had been serving him since he was fourteen— who’s standing just beside his table.

    “Piss off, Cloud.”

    Cloud just smiled sweetly at him. But he knew his butler all too well, it’s a sarcastic smile. “Would you care for refreshments, my lord?”

    He sighed heavily because it’s burdensome. “Refreshment like tea and some other bullshit food that I hate?”

    Cloud wasn’t fazed by his irritated voice and sharp glare. “Come now, my Lord, you know I hate serving you tea. I don’t like preparing them and you hate drinking them. I’m very lucky and blessed to be a butler of such fine, young and handsome gentleman such as yourself, my lord.”

    He glared at Cloud again. “Stop patronizing me.” Napailing siya saka hinilot ang sentido. “Go.” Pagpapaalis niya kay Cloud. “Bring me some refreshment that can refresh me. I’m fucking annoyed and fucking irritated that I could beat you up if you continue to piss me off.”

    Cloud just chuckled, unafraid by his threats. “I’ll be right back, my lord.”

    “When you came back,” aniya bago pa makalabas si Cloud sa private study niya, “speak Tagalog. It’s necessary since I’m taking you with me this time.”

    “Yes, my Lord.”

    Ilang minuto siyang napatitig sa nilabasang pinto ni Cloud bago kinuha ang cellphone niya sa kanang drawer ng mesa saka may tinawagan.

    Knight frowned when he heard a grunt and then groan from the other line. “Val? Are you having sex?” Nalukot ang mukha niya. “Why the fuck are you grunting?”

                        “Fuck you.” Valerian groaned again making him chuckle silently. “Do you know what time it is?”

    “Yeah.” Tumingin siya sa relong pambisig. “8AM. Why?”

    “Hindi ka naman siguro bobo para hindi mo maiisip kung ilang oras ang deperensiya ng bansa natin. 6 hours you dimwit! It’s just 2AM here! Unless, of course, you’re back from Spain and you are in the Airport as of this moment and you’re calling me to pick you the fuck up because you don’t have a place to go. If that is so fuck you—” paused for a couple of seconds, “wait for me.”

    Natawa siya saka sumandal sa likuran ng swivel chair na kinauupuan. Napangiwi siya ng maramdamang ang pagsigid ng kirot sa likod niya pero hindi niya iyon pinansin,

    “’Miss me, best friend?”

    “You’re gross.”

    “Come on, I haven’t seen you for a year.” Tumawa ulit siya. “It’s not my fault that I express my feelings so carelessly.”

    “Don’t bullshit me.” Ani Valerian sa malamig na boses. “Baka nakakalimutan mong isa ako sa iilang taong nakakaalam ng tunay na ikaw.”

    Hindi siya nagpaapekto sa sinabi nito. He promised this lunatic that he’ll be the best lunatic ever— thought it’s not that hard. He excels at it.

    “Hindi mo ako na-miss?” Pagda-drama niya. “Ouch! I’m badly hurt, Best friend—”

    The line died.

    Mahinang natawa si Knight saka napatitig sa screen ng cellphone. Ang dali talagang ma-asar ni Valerian. Effortless. And always funny as hell. He’s one of the reasons why he seldom gets bored these past few years that he’d been going back and forth to Philippines and Spain, secretly looking for his sister who left the palace with her mother two years ago.”

    Natigilan siya ng makatanggap ng text kay Valerian.

    From: Best friend

    Nasa Airport ka? I’ll pick you up.

    Napangiti siya. This man can’t really say no. He may cuss a lot and gets irritated so easily but he’s actually a nice guy and a good friend. Isa ito sa mga taong kailangan niyang protektahan laban sa ama niya.

    His father knew his weaknesses and he will exploit it to make him obedient.

    Knight replied.

    To: Best friend

    Nope. Still in Madrid.

    From: Best friend

    Don’t text me. I hate the origin of your text message.

    Knight laughed and shook his head. “He really hates Spain…” he whispered, “that lunatic.”

    Nabaling ang atensiyon niya sa pinto ng private study niya sa pag-aaring palasyo ng ama niya ng bumukas ulit ‘yon at pumasok si Cloud na may dalang gawa sa pilak na tray.

    “My Lord—”

    “Tagalog, Cloud.” Paalala niya sa Butler. “You need to learn that language.”

    “Oh…” lumapit sa mesa niya si Cloud habang dala pa rin ang tray. “My Lord, if it’s translated to Tagalog is… Panginoon ko?”

    Knight sighed and look at Cloud flatly. “Don’t talk to me. If I’m not feeling lazy and irritated, I would have killed you seconds ago.”

    “Pero tama ako, panginoon ko.”

    Napangiwi siya ng marinig ang huling sinabi ng Butler niya. “Fuck… I’m having goosebumps.”

    “Would you prefer if I call you… Aking Kataas-taasan? I think it’s the Tagalog translation for ‘your highness’. Or should I call you ‘kamahalan’? I’ve watched a lot of English movies and some Asian Movies that was translated to Tagalog and the person with high ranking is always address as such—”

                        Kinuha niya ang baril sa drawer at tinutok ‘yon kay Cloud na ikinatigil nito sa pagsasalita. “Do you wanna die?”

    Bahagyang yumukod si Cloud sa kaniya. “Of course not, my Lord. I love my life, I’m young and very fresh and I love having sex so please, spare me.”

    He sighed and looked at Cloud questioningly. “Did you have sex with the palace new servant? The Mayordoma was very upset the other night. Don’t deny it. I know you, you sly animal.”

    “I’m charismatic, my Lord.” Was all Cloud said with a smile.

    “Whatever.” Bumaba ang tingin niya sa tray na hawak pa rin nito at kaagad na sumama ang mukha niya ng makita ang tea pot at teacups.

    Bumuntong-hininga siya saka kinuha ulit ang baril at itinutok sa butler niya. “I’ll kill you if that’s tea.”

    Cloud has a mischievous smile on his lips as he settles the tray on the side of his table. “Wala ka bang tiwala sa ‘kin, kamahalan?”

    Knight cringed at how Cloud addressed him. “Kung magta-Tagalog kang tang’na ka, tawagin mo ako sa pangalan ko.”

    “It would be a disrespect—”

    “Wanna die?”

    “No of course not, my lord. I value my life so much and of course, I like to have sex.”

    Knight let out a loud sighed. “Yeah, yeah… I’m getting more irritated.”

    Cloud chuckle before lifting the tea pot and pouring the liquid inside to the cup. “My Lord, I hope you enjoy your refreshment.”

    Knight laughed a little when he saw what was inside the tea pot. A beer.

    “Nice.” He commented.

    “And of course,” Cloud smiled as he opens the stainless steel food cover to show him the partner for his beer. “Your favourite.”

    A bread?

    He sighed. “Explain, Cloud, before I shoot you in the head.”

    “It’s not a bread, My Lord. You know that I have to conceal and hide the dessert that you love because your father is an asshole. This is actually a mocha cake, pretending to look like a bread to fool everyone. I made it myself, of course because I am a very talented one hell of a butler.”

    Kinuha ni Knight ang tinidor saka kumuha ng maliit na parte ng mocha cake na tinapay ang desenyo at tinikman ‘yon.

    “Tastes good.”

    Cloud just nodded with a smile then he poured him another cup of beer from the tea pot making him chuckle.

    Cloud always finds a way to indulge his likes and wants. He became his butler at the age of fourteen, but they only became close when he became twenty-one. He was very aloof, he doesn’t trust anyone, even his own butler and relatives, that’s why it took a lot of time to build his trust and friendship with Cloud.

    Come to think of it… only Valerian and Shun became his friends in an instant. He even initiate the friendship. Was it because he was very lonely at the time? With those two— he felt like he doesn’t need time to figure them out, to know their weakness and to use it against them if they acts out and exploit it like what his father taught him. He doesn’t have to pretend to be nice because it just came out naturally.

    And those two… they accepted him even though he doesn’t deserve anything from anyone.

    Ininom ni Knight ang beer na nasa teacup at kaagad naman iyong sinalinan ni Cloud ng maubos niya ang laman.

    “Isasama kita pagbalik ko bukas, Cloud.”

    Inilapag ni Cloud ang hawak na tea pot. “You’re getting desperate, My Lord.”

                        Tumango siya. “It’s been two years since they left. I can’t use the Organòsi to track her down because Father will know and who knows what he’ll do. He’s unpredictable. I need more help.”

    Yumukod si Cloud, “of course, my Lord, but…” worry streaked his face, “but are you okay now? Don’t you need more rest after what happened yesterday? Your back… it’s not healed yet. You can’t go back to the Philippines like that.”

    Tumiim ang bagang niya kasabay ng pagpikit ng mga mata niya.

    His back… it’s still throbbing and pulsing in excruciating agony. He’s still in so much pain but he can’t stay here and do nothing. He has to find her sister! He has to know if she’s okay, if she’s well and if she’s unharmed. If she’s studying and having a good comfortable life. He has to make sure that his sister is in good health that’s why he won’t stop looking for her.

    “My Lord?”

    Napakurap-kurap siya bago tumingin kay Cloud. “What?”

    “Your back… it’s bleeding.” Anito habang sinusuri ang likod niya, “looks like the bandages around your body is already soaked with blood, it’s already soaking your shirt as we speak.”

    “Hayaan mo na.” Aniya. “I can endure a little bit longer. By the way, how is he?” Napuno siya ng pag-aalala. “Father forbids me to go see him.”

    “Pinuntahan ko siya kanina,” Bumuntong-hininga si Cloud, “he’s resting now but he was looking for you. Mukhang gumana ‘yong sedative na binigay ko sa kaniya. Just like you, his back is also bleeding but you know him, he’ll survive. You took half of the lashes for him. Bakit kasi siya lumabas ng walang pahintulot?”

    Napatingin siya sa labas ng bintana ng private study niya habang nagtatagis ang bagang. “You can’t blame him, Cloud. He existed only to be my shadow… it’s suffocating and very burdensome for him. Hindi natin siya masisisi kung gusto niyang lumabas.”

    “Pero alam naman niyang mapaparusahan siya sa ginawa niya, tapos dinamay ka pa niya. Hindi ba niya alam na nasasaktan ka rin—”

    “Don’t tell him that I took half of the lashes.” Tumiim ang bagang niya. His brother, Midnight, who’s years younger than him had been put through hell already. He doesn’t need to know this. “He’ll feel bad and blame himself so keep it a secret.”

    “My Lord—”

    “Go. Take care of him.”

    “But your wound—”

    “I can endure, and I can always call the family Doctor.” Ngumiti siya, “bumalik ka na lang kapag maayos na ang lagay niya. Take care of him for me. He needs someone by his side, and it can’t be me. I have to obey father, or he’ll get hurt again.”

    Cloud sighed. “You have so much burden in your shoulder, my Lord. I even wonder how you can sleep peacefully at night.”

    “I don’t.” Ininom niya ang beer sa teacup, “but I have to endure. I can only end this if I became powerful. And if I have to be cold-blooded, cruel, inhumane, manipulative, brutal and a monster, then so be it. If I have to sacrifice myself, my happiness, and lots of people along the way to protect the people I cherish. I will.”

    “Is that why you ordered Dimitri to take care of your cousin?” Cloud asked. “Because he hurt one of the people you cherish?”

    He smiles coldly, “he hurt Midnight. I can’t allow that. That’s my reason, and because he’s my rival. He’s also eyeing to be the Boss of Asia and I won’t let him have that position… saka inutos ko lang naman kay Dimitri na lumpuin siya, hindi patayin. So… basically, he owes me for not killing him even though he’s a piece of shit.”

    Cloud chuckled. “You’re such a good man, my Lord.”

    “I know right?” He said while chuckling. “I’m such an amazing person—”

                        “Don’t push it, my Lord.” Nakangiwing sabi ni Cloud, “I’m having goosebumps.”

    Natawa siya. “Whatever. Go and take care of Night.”

    Tumango si Cloud at lumabas na, samantalang siya naman ay kinuha ang tea pot at doon na siya mismo uminom. Napakaliit ng teacup para sa beer niya.

    If his family would see him, they will call him barbaric and uneducated… but hell, he enjoys doing these things. Maybe that’s why he enjoys spending his time with Shun and Valerian… they know who and how he is but they don’t judge. They just let him do his thing, however crazy it is with no judgement.

    Nang maubos niya ang beer na laman ng tea pot, tinawagan niya si Shun.

    “What’s up?” Shun asked in a cherry voice.

    Tumaas ang dalawa niyang kilay. “You’re not grumpy? Tinawagan ko si Val kanina, sinigawan niya ako.” Pagsusumbong niya kay Shun, “sinasaktan niya ako, Shun. Bakit siya ganun?”

    “Gago. Don’t be a baby. I’m going to puke.”

    Tumawa siya. “Nagsusumbong lang naman ako. He’s hurting me.”

    Shun sighed. “Fuck you. I’m hanging up.”

    Natawa ulit siya bago sumeryoso ang boses. “Kumusta ang paghahanap? Any luck?”

    “Someone is blocking me, Knight.” Ani Shun, “someone is utilizing the Organòsi to block me. I can’t find her. I’m sorry.”

    He sighed forcefully. “That’s probably father.”

    Shun tsked. “I can go around it if you want. I’ll hacked the Organòsi and—”

    “No. Don’t do that.” Shun will be in so much danger. Hindi pa niya ito mapo-protektahan. He’s still not powerful. He still has no say in the Organization. Tatlong taon pa para magkaroon siya ng kapangyarihan na protektahan ito. “Stop looking.”

    “But—”

    “Shun. I mean it. Stop looking for now.”

    Shun sighed. “I can take care of myself.”

    “Shun.” Matigas ang boses na sabi niya. “I mean it. Sasabihan kita ulit kapag gusto ko na siyang ipahanap ulit sa ‘yo.”

    Shun sighed again. “Fuck this!”

    “Yeah. Drop it for the meantime.”

    “Fine.” Shun sighed heavily again. “But I hate this.”

    Ipinikit niya ang mga mata. “Unfortunately, there are a lot of things we can’t have even how much hard we try.”

    “Fuck you.”

    “You’re very much welcome, Shun.” He smiled. “I’ll wire you Five Million Dollars.”

    “Why?”

    “I heard you’re helping street children to have a bright future. Use it to buy a land where you can build your orphanage or use it for their food.” Aniya saka nagpaalam na, “I have to hang up now.”

    “When will you get back?”

    “This week, maybe.” Aniya. “Bye.”

    “Bye.”

    Nang patayin niya ang tawag, inubos niya ang cake saka lumabas ng private study niya at dumeretso sa kuwarto niya.

    He hates being in this palace, but he doesn’t have much of a choice as of the moment.

    Hinubad ni Knight ang pang-itaas na damit saka sunod niyang inaalis ang bendaheng nakapalibot sa buong pang-itaas niyang katawan na puno na ng dugo at basta na lang ‘yong binitiwan dahilan para bumagsak sa sahig ng kuwarto.

                        Kapagkuwan ay padapang bumagsak ang katawan niya sa ibabaw ng malapad at malambot na kama saka kaagad na pumikit ang mga mata niya. Pero kahit anong pilit niya, hindi siya makatulog. Paulit-ulit na pumapasok sa isip niya ang mukha ng kapatid niya sa isip niya— hindi siya mapalagay.

    Damn it!

    He had been lashed fifty times for his brother yesterday… he hasn’t had a sleep since then. He couldn’t.

    Hell!

    Kahit masakit ang likod niya, pilit niyang inabot ang drawer sa bedside table niya para kunin do’n ang sleeping pills niya.

    He has to sleep. It’s been days since he had any.

    Kumuha siya ng isang tableta saka ininom niya kahit walang tubig saka ibinagsak ulit ang katawan niya sa kama.

    Slowly, finally, after two days of being awake, he drifted off to sleep.

    BECAUSE OF THE sleeping pills, Knight slept the whole day and when he woke up, it was already past midnight.

    Habol ang hiningang pabalikwas siyang bumangon dahil sa masamang panaginip na gumising sa kaniya pero kaagad na napa-igik ng sumigid ang nakakangilong sakit sa likod niya.

    Fuck!

    Knight calmed his breathing and stilled when he saw that his body was covered in bandage again.

    Must be Cloud. Sa isip niya bago bumangon saka kumuha ng itim na t-shirt sa closet niya at lumabas ng kuwarto niya.

    It was already past midnight and as he wanders around the palace, his feet brought him to a secret passage that’ll lead him inside Midnight’s room. At dahil tulog na ang mga tao doon, malaya siyang nagamit ang sekretong daanan patungo sa kuwarto ng kapatid.

    Nagpakawala siya ng malalim na buntong-hininga ng makapasok sa kuwarto ni Midnight.

    He saw his brother sitting on the edge of the bed, fist clenched.

    He’s in pain.

    “Midnight.”

    Midnight automatically looked up, and when he saw him, he looks relieved. “Kuya…”

    He and Midnight used Tagalog language because it fascinates them. Maybe because the one who taught them the language was their loving stepmother who left them as well.

    Naglakad siya palapit dito saka tumayo sa harapan nito at ginulo ang buhok. “How are you feeling?”

    He was looking into his eyes. “In pain.”

    “Nakatulog ka na ba?”

    Umiling ang kapatid. “I woke up just after lunch and couldn’t sleep anymore.”

    Umupo siya sa kama nito saka naglagay ng unan sa hita niya saka tinapik ‘yon. “Come here… sleep. You need it.”

    Worry streaked Midnight’s face. “Baka malaman ni Papá na nandito ka—”

    “Hindi niya malalaman. Come on.” He tapped the pillow on his lap again. “Come here. Tumagilid ka lang para hindi masagi ang sugat mo.”

    Thankfully, Midnight obliged.

    Patagilid itong nahiga saka umunan sa unan na nasa hita niya.

    “Kuya?”

    “Hmm?” He hummed.

    “How long… “ pumiyok ang boses nito. “How long do I have to endure?”

    Hinaplos niya ang buhok ng kapatid. “I don’t know, Night. But I’ll be a boss in three years’ time. I will win and get the position. I’m striving really hard so I can get you out of this.”

    “If you became a boss,” Midnight looked at him, “will I be able to go out like you?”

    Nagtagis ang bagang niya. “… I’ll try my hardest. Just trust me, okay?”

    “Okay.” Umayos ng higa si Midnight saka ipinikit nito ang mga mata. “my back hurts…”

    “I know.” He can also feel the excruciating pain on his back that very moment. Pero hindi niya puwedeng ipakita sa kapatid niyang nasasaktan siya dahil inako niya ang kalahati ng parusa nito. Wala itong alam at gusto niyang hindi nito malaman. His brother will feel bad. “Gusto mo bang ikuha kita ng pain reliever?”

    “No…” Midnight whispered, “just stay, Kuya.”

    “Okay…”

    Panay ang tagis ng bagang niya dahil sa sakit ng likod niya pero pinanatili niyang kalmado ang mukha.

    His brother is suffering because of him… he has to end it. Midnight can’t continue like this.

    But what can he do? He’s powerless. His father holds all the ace of cards. He can’t do anything but obey.

    Bumaba ang tingin niya sa kapatid na sa wakas ay nakatulog na rin. “I promise, I’ll get you out of this. I will become powerful for you. I will be a boss for you. And if I have to sacrifice myself for your freedom, then so be it.”

    That I promise you… little brother.