A Rainy Day

It was raining hard. The water hitting the window panes was irritating me. I am still crumbled in my bed, listening to the annoying sound of rain. It was afternoon already, and still, it was dark. I hate this.

I went over to the fridge and opened expecting something will magically appear there. Some fruits, milk, and leftover pizza slices. Why don't I keep something nice in the fridge?

I sat on the couch and put on the Television. I skimmed through the channels expecting something will interest me. Nothing! Absolutely nothing! Some ridiculous songs were there. But I don't want to hear songs. Why do I have a TV if I can't watch anything? I should sell it and pay some of my debts with friends, so I can get them back.

My father left me and my mom when he knew that she was pregnant. Yeah, growing up with a single parent is hard. Jealous of friends, the sympathy of teachers... It was even hard for her to raise a son without a father. Mom died 2 years ago with countless debts for me. The people out there leave a will when they die, but my mom... why is it always me?

My friends, out of sympathy lend me some money. When they realized that I can't pay them back, they stopped contacting me. They know they are only going to hear sorrows from me. Never knew living alone is gonna make me an aggressive man.

I loved once. I loved Sofi. She was an angel. Deep blue eyes and blonde hair made her look like a doll. Her smile was contagious, but I don't deserve her. For someone like me, love is not something I should demand in my life. I shouldn't drag such a rich girl into my miserable life. I don't want her to hate me later, so I let her go. I don't know where she is now, but she will be happy, happier than she will be with me. Did she loved me too? I felt like it. But I didn't even try to understand. I am such a loser.

Oh! Was I crying the whole time? It is happening often, tears stream down my face whenever I think about my messy life. I should do something before I die. There isn't anything nice to remember later. But, it's raining? Why God?

I was startled when I heard the doorbell. I lazily walked towards the front door. It opened revealing an old lady in her 60s wearing a raincoat. She had already laid the umbrella down on the floor. She was shivering from the cold.

"Hello. My name is Sailey. I live in that house_" She pointed to the small house that was just opposite. mine.

"Um... I made some cupcakes. Thought I can share them will you". She gave me a smile. Seeing her face, I too smiled. I don't even remember when was the last time I smiled.

"Come in", I said. "It's raining hard"

"Thank you," she said and went in after removing her raincoat.

We sat opposite each other at my dining table. I haven't eaten anything since morning. We ate cupcakes. It was delicious and eating with someone made it more delicious. We talked about politics, weather, and anything that didn't involve our lives that I am really grateful for.

She left at 4. When she left, I realized how messy & dark my house is. I moved the curtain and cleaned a bit. I put on the TV and some song was playing. I cleaned the house humming along the lines. The rain had slowed a bit. I sat down on the couch with a cup of coffee. Relaxing bit to the music of nature- the rain.

Skidding of car was heard from outside and it jolted to a halt. I went outside to see a stray dog was hit and it had hurt its leg. The car then drove away, maybe cursing the dog...

The dog whined and it was terrible to watch. I took it inside the home. I can't leave it in the rain, can I? Now it was sleeping on a towel on my couch. His leg was wrapped with some bandages. I should get him something to eat.

I put on my jacket and grabbed an umbrella before locking the door. I walked along the road and saw some kids playing in the water. Someone's mom gonna be angry tonight.

I hummed all the way to the store, giving a smile to some random strangers who gave it back with the same energy. It's beautiful outside and the people are being kind to each other. The thought of it made me love my day. I reached the store and got some dog food.

"Is it you, Joy ?" I heard a sweet voice behind me which I immediately recognised. The sound that I always wished to hear whenever I was feeling down.

"Yeah, how are you sofi?" I asked, trying hard not to break down.
"Yeah, fine. I work here." She said with the same smile that I always adored.

It made me smile too.

"I work in a bank," I said trying hard to make conversation.

"Let's catch up. Are you free tomorrow for lunch? If you don't mind ?" She said looking hopefully at me.

"I would love to. I am not rich, you know, I can't afford an expensive one_"

" No, no. I don't want an expensive one. Just with you, that's all I want" she said with the same hopeful face. How can I reject such a face? "And I thought you hated me "she whispered to herself.

I smiled and laughed a bit to myself when I heard her say that. "And I thought you hated me," I said.

"No, no, that's not right, I mean... I can't.. no...I won't... I will never..."

I watched her in awe when she stuttered.

"You are the one who left..." She said staring at her foot.
"I am sorry, I was out of my mind." I gave her a smile and she returned it.

She is so beautiful.

That dog was jumping around me when I gave it food. Dogs are really nice company to have. I watched it have food and noticed that, the rain had finally stopped...