Chapter 1. Future Set in Stone

Ever since he crash-landed on the land of Teyvat, Aether had been able to see the future.

And today in particular, the stars revealed to him a future brighter than ever. Beneath a blue sky of cotton clouds, the land of Mondstadt stood strong. Its grey walls were rooted firm, facing skyward with unmoving dignity. Northward Aether flew, and by the gates, he saw a familiar maid with long silver hair. Except, she wasn't a maid anymore. Noelle had finally become a knight, wielding a sword instead of her usual trusty broom. She guarded the gate, looking proud and satisfied. Then, there was a gust of wind, carried over by none other than the city's beloved outrider. Following close behind her was a platoon of men, the ones in front leading with poise while those behind sought to capture their leaders' essence. Following the leaves that trailed after, Aether saw a woman whose shadow itself demanded respect. She stood in attention, the golden badge of honour pinned against her chest, and saluted her men.

"Grandmaster Jean" they called her. And it suited her, Aether thought. Much more than when the awkward 'Acting' was forced prior to her title. Aether turned his vision around, seeing Sucrose far ahead, upright and confident, and farther was Timeaus, and Fischl and Bennett. They were all taller, mature, happier.

More.

Aether had to see more. He had always been able to see the future: like snippets of Stormterror's attack, of Childe, the 11th Harbinger in the golden house, of his journey in Inazuma. Every month or so, he would receive a vision with fragments of the future spanning about two weeks forward. But this was the first time Aether had been able to see this far ahead. Noelle's hair was grown out, Amber's hair was cut short, Bennett and Fischl had already passed their growth spurt. Most likely 10 years, this was a future 10 years ahead, Aether guessed, squinting his eyes to a smile.

"Aether?"

.

Even the beating of his heart quietened. He hasn't heard that voice, her voice, in a long, long time. And now, it brushes against his ear, barely inches from behind, with lost warmth from thousands of years ago.

"Shall we go?"

It was against his will, against every fibre of his being, but he turned.

Amber eyes, just as he remembered. Golden hair he could only see from his own reflection. And an angelic smile none can compare.

.

.

Aether awoke with a start. The grey walls of a cavern were the first thing to greet him. He heard a small grunt as he sat up, blinking to note that his lashes were wet with tears. There were many things confusing with the future he had just seen, but overall, it was undoubtedly a good vision. Unlike the calamity he foresaw with the shogun gracing her people of Inazuma, or the anomalies that snuck around Enkanomiya, this vision brought good news: the people of Mondstadt were happy, thriving, and it seemed like he did eventually reunite with his sister.

"Hey! Are you alright?"

Aether turned to see his familiar floating friend. Paimon chucked her hands by her sides, annoyed that she had been calling for her unresponsive friend numerous times, "What are you staring at nothing for? Paimon's hungry!!"

"You're always hungry. Just eat yourself already," Aether huffed a laugh, receiving an angry growl in return.

"I just had a very nice dream okay?" he continued, grinning ear to ear, "Let me daydream about it."

Paimon rolled her eyes, bringing both arms to a cross.

"Well you can daydream about it all you want on our way to Mondstadt," she squeaked, "Paimon wants to get some sticky-honey roast!"