Chapter 2. That's Good

Snow pelted against his face like needles, pricking against bare skin. Aether cursed under his breath, feeling a warm burst of air brush against his nose before evaporating into a fog. He loved the snow...most of the time. But the winter in Dragonspine was unwelcoming and fierce. If not for his curiosity in the landscape's architecture and untold secrets, Aether would have chosen to avoid the icy mountains like the plague.

He looked up at the destination ahead. No light could pierce through the thick snowy fogs of the winter air, and so, Dragonspine was always dark, and he could never see very much ahead of himself. Aether squinted, hoping to catch some signs of fire up front. Besides the broken bridge that hindered his crossing, a pair of torches were what Aether often used to gauge his distance from Albedo's campsite. He had already glided past the broken bridge earlier, so he sincerely hoped that he did not turn the wrong corner after. From past experience, getting lost in Dragonspine was not a fun experience.

Aether clicked his tongue, irritated by the meandering pine trees and screaming winds. Really, he despised Dragonspine for its cold, its melancholy.

He looked down at the spots of lights down the mountain: Mondstadt was down there. By now, Paimon should have woken and read the long apologetic note he had left for her. He had warned her against appearing next to him until further notice, and then assured her that they will surely meet again, as prophesised. All that he could do now was put trust in his long-time friend that she will honour his request.

Before Aether could further overthink his friend's possible course of action, he spotted the familiar cave ahead.

He didn't make the wrong turn then, he sighed, thank the Gods above.

However, the torches were unlit, leaving the cave shadowed and cold. Aether looked around, feeling his eyes strain as he squinted.

It seemed like Albedo wasn't here yet either.

Aether sighed again. He was sure that he was already late. Time was harder to tell in Dragonspine due to the constant lack of sunlight, but Aether's stomach was rumbling, and that means lunchtime had already been long missed.

Albedo said to meet at noon, Aether recalled, placing a hand by his chin, was that alchemist playing him after all?

Pelt pelt pelt. The chilling winds pierced needles of snow into his skin, drawing out swirling anger from his core.

"Fucking asshole," he hissed, turning to leave.

"Ee-tha! Ee-tha!" a voice called from within the cave, "Wait!"

Aether turned again, catching a shadow emerging from behind a board. He never knew there was a room hidden there. The shadow hastily jogged toward him, grabbing both his hands and squeezing them together.

"My apologies," Albedo huffed, "I lost track of the time."

Aether looked at Albedo, sincerely hoping the look of annoyance wasn't slipping out on his face, and then, at his tightly cupped hands. It was a Mondstadtian greeting (that he had yet to get used to): to take another's hands in their own and squeeze with colossal strength - the stronger the squeeze, the higher the respect one shows for another. And from Albedo, it was either he has no respect for Aether or he has no strength.

Usually, Aether would have given anyone the benefit of doubt, but he was still very much infuriated with Albedo, so innately, he must have wanted to antagonise him as much as possible because he fought every urge to pull away from his grip and click his tongue in avid disgust. Besides, it felt unusual to be greeted by the very same person who threatened him the day before.