Chapter 1: I Wanted A Friend

"Henry we have to get going if we're going to make it to class!" A flannel and jeans were quickly thrown on, along with ten seconds of hair brushing.

"I'm coming! I'm coming..."

He slammed the car door shut, and he started to rummage quickly through his notes. "So why did you take so long? It's not like you to sleep in."

"I had some complications with a project." Some of his notes went flying when the car came to a harsh stop. The two lurched forward and looked out the window. "What was that?" Henry said when he sat up.

"Just some stupid rabbit. It should really pay attention to where it's going." Henry laughed while gathering his papers.

"I don't think the rabbit really even understands what a car is." William huffed and shrugged. Then, they continued to drive. The world sped by outside of the window. People becoming blobs of tan skin and white colored shirts. Everything perfectly organized, familiar, and yet, chaotic. Exactly how Henry felt. Exactly how William felt.

The rest of the drive was silent. William was dead focused on the road and Henry was looking over his notes feverishly. It wasn't angry silence. But a mutual understanding, that neither wanted to talk.

***

The lecture hall had the same type of feeling. An agreement between all of the students to be quiet. Henry and William sat beside each other, but they didn't utter a word to one another.

"Good morning everyone," the professor began. He was a short man, with balding brown hair. He wore what looked to be the same oil stained shirt, as if he was part of a cartoon. The whole class agreed that he never once washed it. And therefore, he didn't command much respect from the class. "I'd like to start off with reviewing what we covered last week. Could you please look over the diagram I gave you all?"

The whole class all got out a paper. At the exact same time, the exact same movement. It was the only collective sound they made. Then the professor continued. "Now, if you look at the description given for the joint piece, you'll find..."

Henry and William knew all of this. They had figured this out on their own. Because of that, they both allowed themselves to zone out. And just like that, the class was over. Their oath of silence finally broken, as the lecture hall erupted into a chattering mess.

"We don't have any other classes today...should we just head to the dorm?"

William simply nodded. The two friends gathered their things and promptly left the lecture hall. Their oath of silence, not yet broken.