one

Laia Makena
When my mom said she had found love i didn't think she was serious about it until they got married. Ofcourse living in Africa has it's downsides especially when your parents are interacial couple.

I envied how they both didn't let society define their love and even more grateful to Roberto for accepting me as his own. My dad left us at the hospital when i was born and since then it had only been my mother and me. She tried her best to give me a good life and i was content.

To everyone else a single mom is a woman who failed to keep a man,but to me she is the strongest person I've ever seen. I pack the last bit of my stuff looking at the room I'd grown fond of over the years and where all of my memories were made. 

I was against moving to another country where i had to speak another language but knowing i wouldn't have to hide who i was because discrimination was allowed by my own country i thought otherwise. I wanted to forget everything that had happened to me.

My parents moved to Italy a few years back but since i was in boarding school at the time and didn't want to interrupt my learning they agreed to leave me behind with the agreement of me joining them there when i was done but when i met someone i opted to stay longer making them mad and restless not because i was all alone here but because of how dangerous it is for people like me. I appreciate the driver helping me load my bags on the trolly before heading to check in.I still have an hour before my flight so I call my mom.

"Hey sweetie,"she says excitedly.

"Hi mom,i just wanted to update you so you don't worry," i say holding in a giggle at the irony of my words. We talked alot over video calls because she said she wanted to see me as we talked to make sure I wasn't lying. "Roberto and i are so happy you're going to be living here. He applied for a spot at university of Florence on your behalf so when you get here you'll have to go for an interview," she says seriously making my smile fade and is quickly replaced with a sly one. My mom always chose my paths and i let her because i owed her that much.i was her only child.

She really wanted me to join law school because my grades and debate trophies accounted for it. I was just simply good at things I didn't want to do but i couldn't tell her that. After the call i decide to grab something to eat given how hungry i am. So much for skipping lunch. A tuna sandwich with fries on the side would sit right well about now. I think out loud.

After what seems like eternity i board the plain with my anxiety kicking in again. I had seen movies where someone misses the connecting flight and has to find a way or they'd be stuck. I shudder at the thought of being in such a situation on my first time.

"Ladies and gentlemen we are getting ready for take off and would request you to buckle your seatbelts and switch of your devices," a soft voice fills the plane. A part of me couldn't wait to be far away from here and forget everything.

I had managed to hide it from my parents but it was harder for me once i was alone in my bed trying to fall asleep but mind doesn't let me. Fighting the dark thoughts that sometimes won keeping me up and guessing.

"The plane has now left Kenya and is on the air. You are free to move around or remove your seatbelts,"

I look around me to see if anyone else is as nervous but being in business class everyone looks calm and collected. i sink in further to my seat thinking about how nice it'll be when I'm finally there.