Chapter one-Detention

I walked into the room that reeked of the souls of the damned.
You guessed it! Detention.
Detention, detention, detention. That's all my teacher talks about. Detention this—detention that! Can't he shut up for once?
Thanks to him I have to stay an extra two hours on Saturday. I don't even get a lunch break!
I can't wait for my mum to lash out on me! That's definitely my favorite thing of the day.

Turns out I ended up falling asleep instead of doing my work, I hear my father, which means two hours have passed.

My teacher is definitely going to kill me.

"Yes, of course Mr. Afton. Oh? Well, ——into troub——kicked a studen——-insulted a teacher."

These damn walls, can't even hear a sound properly.

"Alright, thank you."

Dad.

A few words and a seemingly long time later, they walk into the room.
So they both came to pick me up. How great, double the trouble. Not for me though, my father loves me. He loves me more than mum, but they're both alright.

In fact, I'm thankful that my parents only tell me off. They don't hit me.
I like that they don't hit me, it makes me feel safe. Grandmum doesn't make me feel safe, she's mean.

Sure, it gets annoying when they nag so much, but it's 100 times better than getting hit for something you can't control because you're a child.

I may be 13, but I'm still a child.
That's what my parents tell me, and I don't understand why my classmates get offended when people say they're still a child.

"Let's go home, William. Thank you for informing us, Mr. Watkins, but William has something planned for Saturday, therefore he won't be coming.", says dad.

I stand up and after another long chat my parents had with my teacher, we finally leave.

"Dad, what is planned for this Saturday?"

My parents look at each other, I can see tears forming in their eyes. My father silently nods as he takes out a handkerchief and hands it to my mum.

"Honey, I'm so sorry", my mum says as she breaks down in tears, "Vincent..he's gone."

"What do you mean gone? Is he moving?"

"No, William. I mean gone as in..dead.
Vincent is dead."

"..What? You're joking. This is a stupid joke.", a sharp pain shoots through my heart, "TELL ME YOU'RE JOKING, MUM. PLEASE!"

She look down at me and shakes her head.

...

"I'm sorry for yelling at you, mum. I didn't mean to. I just, it- it caught me off-guard.", tears made my vision blurry, "how.. how did he die?"

God damn it. My eyes sting and I'm trying so hard not to cry. I don't like crying in public. It brings too much attention.

"A plane crash", my dad answers.

My heart sunk. It felt like it shattered in a million pieces. The only thing I'm wondering is if it was the model Vincent's father built.

"Is his father the cause of death?"

"What? Of course not. His father never meant to kill him. It was a present for Vincent. They both died because of a malfunction, sadly. Both of their funerals are on Saturday. It's open casket, you'll be able to see him one last time"

"But dad, that doesn't change the fact that I never told him goodbye. I mean, I will be able to tell him goodbye, but he's already gone. He won't be there anymore because he's not alive!"

My father sighs. "It's still better than never telling him goodbye, after all."

But, how come his own present killed him? How come his dad didn't pay enough attention to his design? If he's making his children a present, isn't it important that he makes everything safe?

If I ever make a present for my children, I won't make that mistake.
I won't. And I promise that if I do, I'll never forgive myself, and will do everything in my power to bring them back.

I will bring them back, no matter the cost.

A/N: hey hey hey! Hope you guys enjoyed the chapter! I just want to inform you guys that the update schedule will either be terribly inconsistent or every two days, or every three days (I'll more than likely make double or maybe even triple updates in a day if I have motivation).

Please tell me what you will prefer!

•Every two days

•Every three days

Thank you! Have a wonderful day!

Date: Monday, 13. June 2022
Word Count: 761