Chapter 14: Alter Egos

Alone.

Nine years ago, Riley found herself alone. A small girl who’s sixth birthday had just passed, celebrated with warmth and joy. Now she sat by herself outside on a simple wooden swing under a bare tree, who’s crooked snow-covered limbs offered no solace.

Just days ago, she felt the comfort of a warm embrace, but now she found herself clasped by ice and solitude, bitten by teeth of cold and stabbed with the blade of mourning.

She shivered and her teeth chattered as she hugged herself for warmth. Her emerald-green eyes were red and puffy and her nose runny. Silent snow fell from callous clouds.

Her little ears picked up the crunch of snow beneath boots that approached her. A small boy, no older than her, had come to investigate. His boots and jacket were comically oversized, with loose strings hanging in a few places. His sleeves extended a few inches beyond his hands, and they flapped about as he waded in the snow towards her. His bright red woollen hat periodically fell over his warm brown eyes, and he promptly repositioned it.

He came to a halt in front of her, and she looked away from him, down at her feet.

“Hello.” He said.

Riley shifted away from him with a sniff.

“Why are you all by yourself?” he asked her.

“My parents are dead…. And-and I don’t have any friends here.” She croaked.

“Oh…” the boy responded, feeling embarrassed.

“Here. I brought you this. It’s cold out.” He said as he offered her a thick warm grey blanket.

Seeing her shake as she struggled to reach for it, the boy took the initiative and wrapped the blanket around her.

“There, that should warm you up.” He told her.

“Thank you.” She replied through chattered teeth.

“Do you want to be friends?” he asked her with a smile.

“But what if you die too? Then I’ll be sad forever.” She replied, crestfallen.

“Don’t worry. I won’t, we’ll be friends forever.” He told her, and extended his gloved pinkie finger towards her.

“I promise.” He insisted. Riley grasped his pinkie with her own frozen digit, and looked into his warm compassionate eyes, her cheeks turning a deep pink.

“Wow. You’re pretty.” The boy said after he saw her face.

“I am Kaladin, what is your name?” he asked her.

“Riley.” She replied, whipping her little nose with her sleeve.

It’s been almost nine years since then… Riley thought to herself as she watched Kaladin exchange books from his locker.

Everyday after school we would meet at the tree to play… he would always push me in that little swing while I laughed and smiled, he always knew how to lift my spirits whenever I missed my parents.

Riley recalled weekends of cuddling with him as the children of the orphanage watched a movie on the projector. He would always give her his cookie.

The way you smile is better than the taste of the cookie. He told her when she asked why he gave it. afterward, they would split in half and share it between one another. They were inseparable. Everyday they would admire the window of the candy store on their way from home, their eyes wide with wonder and their mouths drooling as they imagined all the flavours, they read on the chocolate bars.

As the years passed by, she could feel how his presence would make her heart skip a beat, and she would smile from ear to ear whenever they spoke as her feelings of friendship blossomed into something more.

But then… she came. Riley though to herself, with a look of pain and disgust crossing her face. After Kaladin had met Michaela, he had spent less time with her.

She vividly recalled the feeling of absolute dread and confusion when one day… he no longer came to the orphanage with her after school.

Fearful of losing him, she decided to get him a gift for Valentines. She spent weeks gathering coins from odd chores and favours, and collecting them off the ground. She bought the chocolate they spent so many afternoons staring at together, hiding it away in her jacket until she would give it to him and declare her love. She arrived early to prepare what she would say ahead of time, even considering singing him a song.

But I was too late…

The moment Kaladin arrived at school she had ran towards him, calling her name, but what happened next tore her heart to pieces. Kaladin presented Michaela, who had waited for him by the gate, a beautiful array of red roses. She returned the gesture with a simple kiss on his cheek.