Chapter 3

The moment Bethany stepped out of the elevator bank, she saw a group huddling around what must be her cubicle. The low ceiling and tube lighting on this floor of neat cubicle farms felt stifling compared to the executive level. The rows and lows of low partition walls made it easy to see all the comings and goings. She steeled herself for what she knew would be an inquisition. When she approached, they all turned to watch her. It wasn't hard to guess why they were there.

As she drew closer, she heard a chorus of "Hey Bit-Bit!" called out in sing-song voices.

Her cheeks burned with embarrassment. But there was no choice but to face what was to come, so she went to join them.

"Yes, it's a dumb nickname," she said with an embarrassed half-smile.

"Let me guess, you couldn't pronounce Bethany when you were little?"

"You guessed it." She eased past the gathered group to her cubicle. She smoothed down her skirt as she sat down, then rolled her chair to hide her trembling knees under her desk.

"You were with Gabe for a while," Christine noted, peering down at Bethany. There was a sly look of suspicion there. "You must have had a lot to say to each other."

If there was one thing Bethany could change about herself was how easily she blushed. It didn't matter how stoic she presented herself; her blushes always betrayed her. As she thought of a reasonable way to escape this group, she reached down to grab her purse by her feet. "Oh, you know. The usual."

An unfamiliar woman leaned over the top of the cubicle partition in front of her desk. "So Gabe's your brother's best friend, huh? How did they meet? Did he used to come over to your house all the time?"

Christine wasted no time filling everyone in it seemed. As Bethany fumbled inside her tote bag, she noticed a long-stemmed pink tulip across her keyboard. She picked it up and set it aside "They knew each other all their lives."

"Then your parents must be friends. So are you parents' loaded, too?"

She winced at the inelegant question, even as she saw the skepticism in several pairs of eyes looking over her shabby, second-hand clothing. She suddenly felt self-conscious about her ill-fitting jacket with noticeable pilling. "Loaded with debt, sure. My dad worked for Trey a long time ago."

Before those words were out of her mouth Bethany's searching hand still inside her bag was growing more urgent. Her keys were there. There was a compact and a tube of lipstick. But where was her wallet? Meanwhile, questions were fired at her from all sides, adding to her irritation.

"What was he like when he was young? Gabe, I mean."

"Did you ever go on the Blake family vacations? I hear they're spectacular. You must have been there if your families were close. Which of their houses is the biggest?"

"Screw that! I want to know if he's still dating Trisha Earhart! How serious were they?"

"I heard he financed her new movie. They must be serious. You know I thought she looked pregnant during her last interview, and I'm always right about these things."

Bethany sank further and further into her seat with each question. Her mind was trying to recall the last time she had her wallet. Was it that morning when she stopped for coffee on her way to work? She muttered, "I don't know" several times, but that didn't seem to discourage this group.

"We haven't been in touch in the last few years," she finally told them, growing more irritated.

"But you can still pick up the phone and get him to give you a job. In this economy!"