Chapter 4: Wires

"Get under the bed," I ordered Henry--and the boy quickly did so, scrambling away from view. I then turned to Theo, who was frozen in thought, choking down a thought of confliction.

I had no reason to help him here. As far as I cared--Mommy could find him and kill him for all he has done to me and my friends. But on the other hand-- he wasn't just Theo--he was a helpless little boy. He was a little boy who was being used by Theo--and I wouldn't let him die at his Master's hand.

"You. Under the bed," I ordered, my throat now threatening to cut off my words. Theo looked at me, but he didn't move. He didn't even change his expression.

Mommy was now in the hall.

I made a silent prayer for the other rooms--for Anna's room. I didn't want anyone in there to be hurt or used for the game, especially before I could even see them. If anything, I would rather take their place. I couldn't bare the thought of seeing Carson or Alex or Anna--

"Who are you?"

Theo interrupted my thoughts with a question, and I pushed my brows together. But by the time I ran his words through my brain, the footsteps were nearly to the first door, and I knew we didn't have time.

I grabbed the collar of the boy's dusty shirt with one shaky arm and stumbled towards the bed, dragging him with me. Theo grunted and whined with confusion.

I nearly found this amusing. This would be the first and probably last time I would ever save Theo.

I quickly pushed the boy under the bed, sliding under it, on the grimy floor last. I huffed as the splinters scratched and stuck to my skin. The dust coated mine and Theo's pale exterior, and I could already tell my clothes were completely ruined. Theo hissed in disgust and annoyance, but he covered it with a whine in terror. My throat ached from the action.

I swallowed a shiver in fear, my back being exposed to the the door--leaving me vulnerable and unknowing to what was behind me.

Three people fitting under the bed was a tight fit, but I was thankful we did. However, I couldn't push down the thought that--if Mommy came in here--I would be caught first. I would be dragged away as bait for the game.

And Theo would be the one that was safe--just like it always has been.

I looked down to see Theo was staring up at me with wide eyes--startled, bright blue eyes. He didn't seem frightened, or even concerned. He seemed almost in shock that I helped him.

I held back the urge to say that I didn't really want to.

My heart thumped wildly as I listened outside the room, waiting for Mommy. Listening to see where she was heading. I could feel my body twist and shake as I tried to scoot further under the bed, trying to hide from the view of Mommy. Trying to hide incase she comes in here.

When she comes in here.

Because I knew she would.

I didn't understand why the doors were locked, and I don't remember any of this happening. I remember Anna and Alex leaving the room--I remember them running.

But maybe my memory is wrong.

Or maybe their room is the only room that's open.

But I couldn't think anymore as I heard the first door open--

And Aki screaming.

I gasped and instinctively covered my ears as the screech flooded down the hall--the painful, blood-curdling scream that I could only assume was caused by Mommy. I shook my head, blinking away uncertain and fearful tears.