Us

Before reading, please feel free to turn on the following song:
Bryan Adams & Sarah McLachlan — Don't Let Go

And why is everything the same as always? It all comes down to good versus evil, like in a goddamn children's story, and you're not even ten anymore. How banal, for God's sake. Even primitive. Is it really so difficult to understand that good and evil are two sides of one multifaceted, powerful and beautiful phenomenon called life? And there is neither evil nor good. There is just life. Something again pulled you on philosophical topics.

You casually toss your hair behind your back and burn a hole in the window with a detached look, while your friends have been spending hours thinking about a new rescue plan. And how do they not get tired of it?

There's nothing that can be done. All of you were chosen. By who, why, and which reason - these questions tormented Cornelia time and time again, still leaving her with no answers. Who in their right mind would choose a bunch of underage girls to be the protectors of all worlds? Only a complete idiot!

A couple, clearly in love with each other, passes by the dive bar, which for some reason your girlfriends love so much. They laugh and gaze happily into each other's eyes while holding hands. You look away, trying not to let a grimace of jealousy appear on your face. And everything is good with them, and no one rushes between two worlds, in an attempt to prevent the lover of black eyeliner from crushing all dimensions.

"Done, finally! Great plan, Will!"

Irma, who is sitting on the other side of the table right in front of you, jumps in her seat with joy, clutching an ice cream cone in her hand and shining like a star on a Christmas tree. Another abstract chatter about the situation on Meridian. For the hundredth time, the same record, substituted only by random remarks about the studies and the cleverness of the leader of the guardians.

A persistent dislike for the girl has not gone away, even though you spend a lot of time side by side. Hmm, maybe that's the problem? You roll your eyes when the redhead, like she always does, refuses the compliment. Such a stupid habit. You still want to tear off the mask of goodness and righteousness from her, to look at what is really hidden behind it. It's still hard to admit that she's in charge and not you. For now at least. Although, lately you have been acting according to her rules, only obeying. You still don't know why.

"We should train more often."

The only person who doesn't annoy you now, Taranee, shares her fears and the possible development of the current situation.

"Phobos has not made any appearance lately, which means he can be busy gathering forces."

You just nod your head dismissively, hoping that no one will bother you if you make a slight attempt to fake your presence.
Cornelia's fingers nervously run through a strand of hair, spoiling the flawless hairstyle at last. Another damn habit, by the way. And when will all this boredom end? There is less and less desire to participate in this "extracurricular activity", but it seems that there is nowhere else to go.

You force yourself to distract from your monotonous thoughts, hoping to kill time in this way. And suddenly it works. Hay Lin with her innate enthusiasm talks about a handsome boy who recently asked her out. Eric as far as you remember the name correctly. Cornelia chuckles, not understanding what's so exciting about it. The conversation smoothly flows into the topic of boys. Again you roll your eyes, this time without going unnoticed by the girls. This whole chatter is so boring.

"Cornelia, what's wrong with you?"

Four pairs of eyes inquiringly focus on you, trying to understand why you are being so silent. Is it really that hard to say something? Yes, it is. Hay Lin's hand covers yours and her head tilts a little when she tries to look into your eyes. You nod, pretending everything is fine. That's right, Cornelia, shake your head.