Ch. 01: Encounter!

The Virtual World to which Hope's Peak Academy's Ultimate Students went to cultivate their talents was surreal but unique. This place was a virtual representation of Jabberwock Island amid an eternal summer. Hence these students, or "Ultimates" were joining the Academy's Ultimate Summer Camp. In addition, the experience would become an adventure by seeking out the Hope Fragments in this Virtual World.

In these adventures, they had to contend with Mono-Monsters, beings created in the image of the insane robotic bear Monokuma. However, the students demonstrated their ability to face down any adversity in their own unique ways. Though the experience was thrilling, there was time for adventure and a time to rest. Several of these Ultimates decided to retire to Hotel Mirai for the day.

At the hotel's old building, several of the students gathered at the pool.

Emerging from the water was a brown-skinned, lean but curvaceous teenager with her brown hair tied in a ponytail curled upwards and wearing a gold two-piece swimsuit. Shaking her head to get the excess water off, her blue eyes opened.

"Mmm, this is bliss," She sighed happily.

During this, the girl moved her arms in a figure eight motion to stay afloat. For Aoi Asahina, the water was like a friend, befitting her talent as the Ultimate Swimming Pro. Although she was unsure how this Virtual World would unlock new potential in the attendees' talents, Aoi enjoyed this place. It was a fun time to meet with new friends and hang out with current ones, too.

Enraptured by the water's soft touch, Aoi went into a trance-like state started to do some backstrokes. With her eyes closed, she began to imagine she was in an Olympic aquatics event. Nothing could be grander than making like a shark in the swimming pool! On top of that, she'd get a gold medal...

"Yo, Hina," An older voice called to her.

Snapping back to reality, Aoi looked to her left. Riding a yellow inflatable raft was a tall, yet athletically supple young woman wearing a white-and-turquoise two-piece bathing suit. Next to her was a redhead freckled girl wearing a blue-with-white-polka-dots two-piece bathing suit.

Aoi addressed both by name, "Hey, Akane. Hiya, Hiru. What's up?"

Akane Owari, the Ultimate Gymnast joined in for the sake of bettering herself as a fighter. On the other hand, Mahiru Koizumi attended so she could capture her friends' smiles on camera as the Ultimate Photographer.

"We're waiting for the coming of the Jabberwock Macaw," Mahiru explained, "A rare bird that's native only to Jabberwock Island."

Akane stuck out her hand to invite Aoi, "So if you wanna see it Hina, come on up."

"Gee, I'd love to," Said Hina, grabbing onto Akane's hand.

As the swimmer climbed onto the raft, Mahiru scooted over to make room for Aoi. The Ultimate Photographer continued watching the skies and palm trees nearby with her guests.

Growing curious, Aoi asked Akane, "What's in it for you, Akane? Are you birdwatching for Emerald Jabberwock Macaw, too?"

Pumping her fists, Akane answered boisterously, "Nope! I'm in it to grab that lil' BIRD! Then I'm gonna give it to Gundham as a pet!!"

Aoi and Mahiru could only chuckle nervously. They knew Akane to be upbeat, but doing a favor for that Ultimate Breeder in demon summoner's clothing, Gundham Tanaka?

The Ultimate Swimmer retorted, "Catch it with your own hands, Akane? Isn't that a little...?"

Only for Aoi to feel Mahiru pat her left shoulder reassuringly.

"Don't sweat it, Hina," Said the latter, "Akane and Gundham managed to catch some animals to impress Sonia. They never harmed a hair nor feather on any of them."