ᴏɴᴇ

As I lay on my bed, staring at the ceiling and playing with my dad's old baseball, I kept sighing and wondering what my life would be like in China

As I lay on my bed, staring at the ceiling and playing with my dad's old baseball, I kept sighing and wondering what my life would be like in China. A girl with no idea how to speak the language beyond a simple "Hi," I felt utterly lost and unprepared. Each sigh seemed to amplify the anxiety of moving from Detroit to a completely different world.

When I first found out we were moving, I was furious. The thought of leaving behind my friends, my family, my school, and the memories I had with my dad was unbearable. Detroit was all I had ever known, and it held the only connection I had left to him.

As I lay there, holding the baseball tightly, I couldn't help but smile sadly. "I miss you, Dad. I wish you were here," I whispered to myself, the weight of his absence heavier than ever.

Just then, my ears perked up at the sound of my mom's voice calling from the living room. "Darling, come downstairs! We're going to be late!"

"I'm coming, Ma!" I shouted back, taking one last look around my room. Every corner was filled with memories, each one a little harder to leave behind. With a deep breath, I placed the baseball gently on my bed and stood up. It was time to face the new adventure ahead, even if it meant stepping into the unknown.

I entered the living room only to find that the tree full of cherished photos that had adorned the wall had been replaced by a blank white canvas. It felt strange to see the emptiness in the space where memories once thrived.

As I walked through the familiar rooms, my eyes landed on a surprising sight—the walls adjacent to the door were adorned with colorful drawings.

Intricate patterns and imaginative scenes covered the once plain surfaces, turning them into captivating pieces of art. Curiosity piqued, I took a step closer to admire the details and appreciate the creativity that had transformed the doorway.

Smiling a little, I grabbed a pencil from my pocket and leaned against the doorway, starting to sketch in my mind. I began marking my height and writing “Moving to China” on the white wall. As I looked at my work, I started to get lost in my thoughts. I was startled when my mom's voice echoed through the house, calling my name.

"Darling, come on now!"

Startled, I quickly turned around to respond, my long hair partially obscuring the hat I was wearing. "Yes, Mom, I'm here," I replied, making my way towards her. I adjusted my hat and straightened my posture, preparing myself for whatever awaited me.

Mom's eyes twinkled with excitement as she greeted me. "Are you ready?" she asked, her voice filled with excitement. "It feels like we’re starting a new life."

I responded with a gentle hum, unable to find the words to match her enthusiasm. We had been planning this move for a while, but the reality was just beginning to sink in. I was feeling the pressure, especially because I didn’t know any Chinese words.