Chapter 2

"Great practice today guys." I checked my watch. "We're for sure winning the cup if you keep this up."

"You think?" Carrie Smithson perked up. She wants to win the cup for our team just as much as I do. She's in my math class, and she's a great girl. I nodded.

As I hefted my bag on my shoulder, Coach put his hand on my shoulder and asked if he could speak to me for a minute.

"What's up, Coach? Something wrong?" I asked as he stared at me for a few moments.

He smiled tearfully and then went on to say how proud he was of me for working so hard and making sure the team worked hard. He was sure we were going to win the cup. I just smiled and nodded, but inside I felt more pressured than ever. If we didn't win the cup, it would all be my fault. My, Evie Jenning's, fault.

We had to win.

I really didn't want to be that girl, but we had to win.

I trudged upstairs and locked myself in my room, and then I started on my homework, but I could barely concentrate.

Mainly because I was really tired and sore from all that practice, so I went on my phone instead and saw that Jonas had texted me a while back.

Jonas: hey, you okay?

I then decided to respond.

Evie: yeah i'm fine

Jonas: oml thank god you responded, i was starting to suspect you were ignoring me lmao

Evie: lmaoooo why would i ignore you?

Jonas: maybe because of what happened at school today?

Evie: jonas, it wasn't ur fault.

Jonas: ik...

Jonas: hey i have an idea, but it's a bit of a crazy idea

Evie: omg what now?

Jonas: lol u make it sound like I have crazy ideas daily

Evie: maybe that's because you DO have crazy ideas daily

Evie: let's hear it...

Jonas: What if we pretend to fake date?

Evie: I'M SORRY WHAT NOW-

Jonas: just think about it! those girls annoy me daily, so maybe if i got a "girlfriend" they'll finally leave me alone

Jonas: and u were the first person i thought of... so yeah!

Evie: why was i the first person you thought of?

Jonas: ummmmmm

Jonas: because ur my best friend, duh

Evie: oh, lmao

Evie: anyways i guess i'm in

Jonas: YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Jonas: TY TY TY TY TY TY TY TY TY TY TY TY TY TY TY TY TY TY TY TY TY TY TY TY TY TY TY TY TY

Evie: lmao no problem, when do we start?

Jonas: tomorrow

Evie: okay, gtg prepare myself 4 this-

I had to read that conversation a few times to fully comprehend it.

Jonas was asking ME to be his fake girlfriend.

And he'd thought of me first because I was his best friend.

But I read the text two texts before I had gave in. He had said "ummmmmm" like he was thinking. Was Jonas not telling me something?

But I had no reason to complain. Being in a fake relationship with my guy best friend might be kinda fun, and a little weird.

But who knew? It could be mostly fun.

I sighed as I flopped down on my bed. This was not how I had planned things in high school to go. I'd never been in a serious relationship, and I really did not want to fall for the wrong person. Falling for the wrong person could lead to a relationship, but not a very happy one. I wanted to be in a happy relationship, and I wanted to be with someone who treated me as an equal. Wasn't that what everyone wanted?

I couldn't help but wonder some more about whether Jonas was hiding something from me or not. I was his best friend. Why would he need to hide something from me? It wasn't like I was going to judge him or anything.

Was that it? Was that why he was hiding something from me? Because he thought I was going to judge him?

I would never judge Jonas. 

I couldn't bring myself to judge Jonas.

Even if my life depended on it.

As I went to bed that night, I repeated these four words:

It is totally platonic.