Chapter One: Finally...

"Hey mom, Im home!" yelled 13 year old Lauren walking in her front door after a long Friday at school.  She lived in a small neighborhood in the country where all the houses looked the same. She walked into the small entryway and hung her green spring jacket on the hook. "Oh, hi sweetie! I'm in the kitchen!" Lauren's mom was a petite lady with shoulder length, blonde hair and big hazel eyes. After putting down her backpack, Lauren walked into the kitchen and the wonderful smell of lasagna hit her. She was surprised, her mom rarely ever cooked big meals. She then spotted some freshly baked cookies on the marble kitchen counter. "Wow, what's the occasion?" Lauren asked curiously. She sat down on a cushioned chair and crunched into an apple. "Well I wanted your father to be he-". Before Lauren's mom could finish her sentence, her dad walked in the door. He was a tall man with black hair and square glasses. "So, did you tell her yet?" Lauren's dad asked her mom excitedly. "No, I was waiting for you to get home. " explained her mom. "Tell me what?!" Lauren asked impatiently. Lauren's mother smiled and said "We have decided to become a foster family". As soon as Lauren heard those words, she was estatic! For the last few months she has been begging her parents to let them become a foster family for dogs. They would take dogs in from their local animal shelter and keep them at their house until they found someone who wanted to adopt them. "Omg omg omg! Thank you so much!" screamed Lauren. Lauren's dad laughed "your welcome, sweetie.". Lauren's mom said " I was able to call the animal shelter today and they said that we can go in tomorrow to sign all the official papers. They also said that you can get your first foster animal within the same hour. " "That's awesome! I can't wait!" After their big meal, Lauren went up to her room to research how to take care of a pet.