Chapter 4 : Fields of Verdun

2 YEARS LATER

Me : What the fuck do you want now, Being X?

Currently, I am sitting in a chair by my desk in my dorm while Jaune and Louis are sleeping, but time was paused so it didn't really matter about them being asleep since they wouldn't be able to do anything until time resumed. I'm staring angrily at a nutcracker, who just so happened to be controlled by Being X.

Being X : I have come to personally assess your progress of redemption. Hopefully you have come far and I presume that you have finally seen things my way and have accepted faith into your life.

Me : For fuck sake, you're sounding like one of those rich snobs in Parisii. Thinking that you're better than anyone else, and when someone tries to bring you down to earth you spit in their face.

Silence.

Being X : It seems that you haven't progressed at all over the two years since we've last met. Disappointing.

Me : You think I want your shitty approval? You think I NEED it.

Being X : But of course, who wouldn't?

Me : Your talking to one of the millions upon millions of people who wouldn't. News flash, NO ONE GIVES A SHIT!

Once again, silence.

Being X : I suppose that I'll have to push you a little further. If you do not show change, then you will force me into drastic measures. If you do not change, you will be thrown into hell on earth. You will have those you care most about taken away, possessions will be stripped away and your mind will be pushed to the brink of insanity. Just because you refused to apply a little faith.

Time resumed as I could once again here Jaune's slightly audible snoring. I take hold of the nutcracker and stare at it with a deadpan face, before throwing it out of the open window and get to bed.

*timeskip*

I slam my head against the wall.

Me : You have got to be kidding me!

Louis : Kid, don't do that, you could hurt yourself real bad.

Me : Were you not listening to what the instructor said! We have no chance of getting out of that hell!

Jaune : Jeez, can you keep it down. Besides, we're being sent to the reserve trenches.

Me : You don't get it. Just because we're the reserves, doesn't mean we'll be fine. 10,000 of our countrymen died on the first day. THE FIRST DAY! There is no way we won't be sent to the frontlines in a matter of days, or even hours!

Louis : Look, I understand your concerns but we have no choice. If we don't go to Verdun, we'll be court marshalled. We have about half an hour until we move out so you should get ready, let's give him some space Jaune.

The Moulin brothers leave the room. I stare at the door as they close it and hear them walk down the hall. I look at my desk to see the nutcracker from a few nights back and scowl at it. I know Being X had something to do with this. I let out a heavy sigh before grabbing all of my gear and sling my Lebel Model 1886 over my soldier and look to the sky.

Me : *mutters* Good soldiers follow orders.

*timeskip*

Verdun was alive with the screams of falling shells and the roars of blazing fire as the battle can be heard a few miles away. Me, Jaune and Louis  were sitting around a table in a sentry post of the reserve trenches. The friendly artillery behind us firing shells over the trenches and into the imperial horde I know is attacking. All of this because Being X and the old hag at the train station. Jaune and Louis were playing some kind of card game, Louis being the current winning member if Jaune's frustrated actions were a signifier.

Louis : Got any 6's?

Jaune looks at his five cards in his hands, and then Louis' two. He grabbed a card from his hand, revealing it to be a 6 of hearts, and handed it over. Louis then proceeded to put his cards on the table to reveal a 6 of hearts, diamonds and clubs. Jaune stands up and proceeds to go off as Louis reaps the rewards of his victory.

Jaune : This is why I don't play games like this against you, you always seem to win and carry your victory with that overbearing grin of yours.

Louis : Come on now brother, it isn't my fault that you are not as good as you think you are. This was a game in which I had simply outsmarted you and beaten you. And in regards of my "overbearing grin", wouldn't you have one similar if you had won instead of me.

Jaune : That's not the point Louis, the point is that you continuously tempt me to play this game with you like "Oh Jaune, I'll go easy on you" or " Oh Jaune, It's been a while since I last played so you'll have a better chance". You always say such things and they're never true, therefore I refuse to do anything like this ever again with you.

Louis : You always say that, but you always end up playing.

Jaune leaves in a frustrated huff and I turn to Louis.

Me : Hey Louis, do you have any rations to spare.

Louis : I thought you weren't hungry, why do you ask this now.

I remove my hat from my head and take hold of a brown rat that was there. This was Remy, a rat that I had tamed a year earlier and took in as a pet. It was calming to have him around.

 It was calming to have him around

Me : It isn't for me, Louis.

Louis : Oh, for Remy huh? Well it does seem that I have acquired a few things from Jaune just now that can be considered edible, so I think I can spare a few.

Louis hands over a pack of half opened crackers and I take one out and take a bite out of it to test it. It passed and I gave the rest to Remy and watch as he proceeds to chow down and the feast that has been gifted to him. A while later, I put the crackers in a satchel and take out a small (F/C) ribbon that I had found recently and tied it around his neck to make it easier to recognise Remy. Jaune comes back, now calmed down, and we chat about random things as Remy just messes about on my lap. And then we hear it, the whistle.

Me : It sounds like we're being called up to the front. I told you we would, we're gonna die out there and there isn't a single thing we can do to change that. IT'S ONLY BEEN THREE DAYS AND WE'RE ALL READY BEING CALLED UP, I TOLD YOU BOTH THIS WOULD HAPPEN!

Jaune : Calm down, you'll make me go deaf before the artillery does.

Louis : Look, that may be true kid but you never know, we might make it out.

And with that we leave for the fronts. Not knowing what may be in store for us.

*****

Yeah, Chapter 4 is done, Chapter 5 next week, see ya'll then.

And take my meme.