||Chapter 14||

Yaoyorozu's head jerked up. "To-Todoroki-san!" she gasped. Her eyes were wide and glassy as she stared up at him.

It looked like she had been about to cry.

Shouto's heart stuttered at the thought. It was because he hadn't been fast enough to get to her on time. This was his fault.

Instinctively, his hand reached out to touch her, before he caught himself. There was time to comfort her later. He had to make things right first. "If you want to see the fireworks, the ones in Odaiba will be going off soon. We can still make it if we hurry."

Yaoyorozu stared at him in confusion. "Todoroki-san..."

"You want to see the fireworks, don't you?" He stepped forward and held out his hand. Her gaze darted to it then back up to meet his eyes. "Then I'll take you."

Yaoyorozu drew in a sharp breath as she stared at him for a moment. Then she licked her lips and reached up and rubbed at her eyes with the back of her hand. When she looked back at him her face had settled into the familiar expression of determination that always made Shouto's stomach flutter strangely.

She reached out and slid her smaller hand into his. The top of her cheeks turned red as his hand closed over her own, but Shouto didn't let himself think about it as he turned and pulled Yaoyorozu back out onto the crowded street.

Their geta sandals clicked against the pavement as they ran back towards the main road. People had dispersed after the fireworks show, but the festival was still ongoing. The sound of Taiko drums beating could be heard in the distance as they dodged through groups of multi-colored yukatas.

"How did you find me?" Yaoyorozu asked as they ran hand-in-hand.

"Shoji," Shouto said. They came to the main road, and he looked up and down the street for an empty taxi. "Everyone was looking for you. He thought he heard your footsteps over this way and Jirou texted me."

From the corner of his eye, Shouto could see Yaoyorozu's expression flicker in confusion. "But–How? How did you know I'd be here? And where's everyone else?"

"They're still over by the original meeting place - on the other side of the bridge. I texted Jirou after I went to your place and met your parents–"

"What?" Yaoyorozu gasped, skidding to a halt to gape at him. "You went to my apartment?"

Shouto hummed in acknowledgement, turning to look at her. He hadn't had a chance to take in her appearance before, but now that they had stopped Shouto took a moment to look her over.

Yaoyorozu was in the crimson yukata from the shopping trip. Her hair was up, but out of its usual spiky ponytail. Instead, it was wavy and more refined as it curled loosely down her back. And a pink sakura ornament entwined with strings of pearls was nestled in her hair.

Shouto's heart skipped a beat as he stared at her. She looked cute. But that wasn't what she had asked. He cleared his throat. "Yeah, I was going to get you. But when I arrived your parents said you'd already left, so I texted Jirou on my way back that you were on your way."

She stared at him for a moment in disbelief, then suddenly, he saw something shift and her expression darkened; she dropped her gaze back to the ground.

"You missed the fireworks." It wasn't a question. Her voice had grown small. "Because of me...I—I ruined it. I wanted to make sure you of all people had a good time, but I was selfish once again and you missed them because of me." Her voice cracked.

Before he could think about it, Shouto took a step closer and reached up to tuck her loose bangs behind her ear. "Yaoyorozu, I don't know what you're talking about," he said, avoiding her gaze. "But you were looking forward to tonight more than anyone. It wouldn't be fair if you didn't get to enjoy the fireworks and festival too. Besides—"