Chapter 10: No one makes Gaston ride through the woods like the Beast

Gaston caught up to the mob just as they arrived at the castle. The once-blue sky was red with flames as the townspeople stormed to the front door.

Gaston hid behind a tree, trying to figure out a plan. The mob thrust a tree trunk through the door, broke it and stampeded into the castle.

He heard cheers, followed by yelps and squeals. Gaston jumped off the horse and ran to the entrance, peeking from behind the door.

A light flashed before Gaston's eyes as Lumiere lit a man's bottom. Cogsworth pulled a woman's long nose towards his pendulum and repeatedly smacked her with it.

Lumiere and Cogsworth stood back to back as they continued attacking the intruders. Lumiere gave Cogsworth a wink, which made the pendulum slapping go even faster. Despite his embarrassment, Cogsworth gave Lumiere a smile with enough warmth to rival Lumiere's lit candles.

Mrs Potts and Chip poured tea onto the villagers. Madame de la Grande Bouche dropped from the top of the staircase and slammed onto a man's back, all while belting out the highest note Gaston had ever heard.

Gaston took the commotion as an opportunity to sneak up to the West Wing. If he could warn the Beast ahead of time, maybe things would work out.

Before he could sigh in relief upon seeing the Beast's face, he saw the Beast stepping backwards onto the balcony as a knife-wielding Lefou inched closer.

'How dare you take away my Gaston!' He yelled, taking a step every few words. 'You took him and... a-and changed him!'

'He changed me!' the Beast retorted in the voice of someone about to cry. Euphoria bloomed in Gaston's chest when he heard those loving words. This feeling disappeared when the Beast stood dangerously close to the balcony rail.

Lefou snickered. 'Did you really think someone like Gaston could ever care about an ugly monster like you?'

Gaston picked up his bow and arrow, aiming them at Lefou. He took a deep breath but saw the Beast staring at him.

He looked at Lefou, his longtime friend. He tried to will himself to shoot, but the sight of the Beast in danger made him unable to breathe properly for the shot. The arrow hit the balcony floor beside Lefou, who spun around. Loose strands of hair fell down Lefou's face and the floppy bowtie around his neck was crooked. His teary eyes glistened like his knife in the moonlight.

'Don't worry, my dear,' Lefou said. 'No need to kill this beast for me. I'll do it for you.'

Gaston pulled out a dagger, hoping it would somehow be easier to use on his target. 'You little-'

He lunged at Lefou, who slipped underneath him. Gaston's unused momentum sent him running towards the Beast, knife still in hand. The Beast stepped to the side on instinct. Gaston saw the tops of the trees beneath him as he began to fall.

His core went through whiplash when the Beast wrapped his arm around his torso. The Beast pulled Gaston back towards him and caressed his cheeks as if checking for injuries. The ends of his claws dug into Gaston's cheeks ever so slightly, but his fur was soft against his skin. Gaston placed his hands atop the Beast's to get him to soften the grip of his claws. He reached for his face and brushed his thumbs against the fur above his cheekbones. Their smiles were as soft as the Beast's fur.

The Beast roared in pain as his upper half curled backwards. Lefou pulled the knife from his back, a crazed yet hopeful smile on his face.

Gaston picked up Lefou by his collar and held his dagger up to his face. Lefou was heavier than usual. He kicked the dagger out of Gaston's hand, freeing himself from the distracted man's grasp. He leapt off the roof onto an arcading. Gaston picked up his dagger.