"Virah"

Virat is stunned at Sumits straightforward question. He pretends he has not heard it and keeps looking at his phone.
Sumit, not realising the turmoil within Virat, asks him again…
“Bata na… kya status hai iska? Koi Boyfriend? Fiance kuch hai kya?”
Unable to express his displeasure at the questioning, Virat clenches his jaw and answers..
“Aisa kuch nahi hai”
A smile lights up on Sumits face… “Phir to acchha hai''
“Kya accha hai?” Virat asks, barely controlling his anger, his voice taking a slightly higher pitch.
“Accha hai matlab… sweet si ladki hai re… I like her”
“Seedha like her… kitni baar mile ho??”
“Jyada nahi… par bahot dedicated hai.. She has that passion for her goal. Quick learner hai and most importantly team player hai”
“Kafi acchhe se jaan gaye ho”, the words spit out of Virats mouth
“Itna to samjhdaar hun main Dost… koi bewakoof hi hoga jo ye nahi pehchanega…”

The word bewakoof feels like hot oil in his ears.. Virat realises… main hi to vo bewakoof hun.

His pettiness taking over, Virat blurts out “Divorcee hai vo”
“Divorcee??? Aur Sai?? Age hi kya hai iski? Must be around 19-20 na”
Virat just nods, wishing that this would make Sumit halt his intentions.
Sumit keeps looking at the direction Sai went in and mumbles,
“Koi majboori hi hogi… varna itne kam age main shaadi koun karta hai.. And specially someone who has such big dreams in her mind”

The memories of Kamal Sir and the circumstances of their marriage come back haunting Virat. Preoccupied with those thoughts, he misses the next question from Sumit.
“Are bol na… Divorce kyun hua? Sasural wale thik nahi hai kya?”
“Tujhe aisa kyun lagta hai ki sasural walo se hi koi problem rahi hogi” asks Virat, surprised at that interpretation.
“Are.. Sai ko dekh ke to lagta hai ki isne puri koshish ki hogi… zaroor unki taraf se hi kuch hoga… anyway good that she is out of it. Must have been heartbreaking for her”
“Tu to keh raha hai ki thode hi din mila hai… lekin baat to aise kar raha hai jaise saalo se jaanta ho”
Sumit notices the acidic tone and says, “Tu kyun itna gussa ho raha hai?”
“Main kaha gussa ho raha hun?” Virat says making a half hearted attempt to hide his displeasure, hands fisted tightly, his fingers hurting his palms.
“Dekh dost.. Tera aur mera profession hi aisa hai… we need to be perceptive… we need to read between the lines… sentiments matter more than words. As a Doctor, I am trained to read the signals.. Most of the time it's the patient's behaviour and attitude that gives us clues about their prognosis and not our diagnosis. I am sure you understand what I mean…the law may see everything in black and white but the acts are always driven by emotions… there is always some justification to it”
“Anyway, all I am saying is.. From whatever I have seen of Sai.. I don't think she would be at fault… (looking at his watch) Chal bahot time ho gaya… I am getting late. Catch you later”

Virat stumbles back into his car, thinking about how in only a few meetings, Sumit has correctly analysed Sai and her nature, while in spite of living with her for almost a year, he still can't seem to read her. He had called her stubborn and immature countless times but he contemplates now that it was his stupidity and attitude that pushed Sai away from him. He also realises how narrow minded he still is that he mentioned Sai’s marital status to Sumit. Mentally cursing himself to grow up and respect Sai’s decision, Virat looks at the door one last time before going away.

A few days later, Virat gets a call from Sumit to accompany him to a cultural night in Sai’s college. Hoping to avoid another conversation with him about Sai yet excited to catch a glimpse of her, Virat reluctantly agrees to join him.

It's a Shankar Mahadevan musical night and the audience is enjoying the evening to the melodious tunes of Indian classical music. Sai is the EmCee for the evening and is doing a fine job of it. She is dressed in a beautiful white georgette embroidery dress, with pearl jhumkis and a silver teardrop bindi. Virat is mesmerised once again at her effortless beauty and begins to wonder if indeed divorcing him has helped her blossom.

Sumit brings him out of his reverie but Virat notices his gaze constantly turning to Sai. They take up their seats and the audience starts requesting songs.

Mr. Mahadevan takes the mic and announces… “I generally do not take up requests for sad songs but this one is close to my heart and looking at the audience who understands emotions and feelings all too well… here’s presenting Virah”

Ae Ri Sakhi Main Ang Ang Aaj Rang Daar Du
Apne Jee Se Prem Rang Kaise Main Utaar Du
Ae Ri Sakhi
Tere Bina Kahi Bhi Na Vayakool Mann Laage..
Birahan Sur Taal Saaz Aaj Tere Aage

Being the master of his art, the anguish in the lyrics beguiles everyone and a silence falls on the entire audience. Sai is standing in the wings, putting all her might in focusing on any random object except at those pair of eyes looking at her from the audience. Her arms are tightly crossed across her chest, as if to protect her from the onslaught she knows these words would create for her.

Nainan Ko Chain Nahi Rain-Rain Jaage..
Ek Pal Mein Toot Jaaye Sans Ke Ye Dhaage
Tu Jo Muh Phere Sakhi Deh Pran Tyag du
Pal bhar Tu Dekh Mujhe Zindagi Guzaar Du

Unable to bear the pain and grief at losing someone so close to his heart, a single tear falls from the corner of Virat's eye, which he wipes quickly to avoid being seen by Sumit. He tightly grasps the armrest in a desperate attempt to transfer his pain to that inanimate object but is seen by Sai and they are locked in on each other, her lips quivering and she biting them hard in order to control herself. His reaction is nothing different. Her eyes tell a different story though. The agony in her eyes is piercing him and all he can do is lower his eyes in shame, feeling powerless to bear the misery of his heart and her tormenting gaze.

Ae Ri Sakhi Main Ang Ang Aaj Rang Daar Du
Apne Jee Se Prem Rang Kaise Main Utaar Du
Ae Ri Sakhi
Ae Ri Sakhi Ae Ri Sakhi
Ho Ae Ri Sakhi

----
Song is Virah from Bandish Bandits