9. Pool

Nine

"Tyler? Hello! Earth to Tyler!"

Somebody banged on the table I was sitting at, which drifted my attention. I peeked up to see Alex looking straight at me.

"What?" I had a horrible hangover last night and clenched my head at the abrupt sound. "What happened last night?" My jaw clenched at the reminder of the subject I wanted to avoid.

"N-Nothing," I said while sloping down to look at my phone. Alex reached over the table to take my phone, wiggling around his hands.

I got up to try to get it, but since he was taller than me, I couldn't reach it.
"No, Tyler, your not spending your last senior trip with this thing," Alex said while putting it in his back pocket.

I sighed and looked around the pool ground to see Miles. He was playing in the pool water, which I supposed was his friend. Seeing him shirtless reminded me of the day prior.

I mentally groaned and took off my shirt to put my feet in the water, dangling them on the pool's edge.
I looked at Miles, who was now talking to a girl I didn't know, and I couldn't help but feel bitter as the girl put her hand around his shoulder.

It was probably his girlfriend. I looked away. I hated how much I was into him.

Alex plotted next to me and saw my appearance, and nudged me by the shoulder. "Quit moping around and have fun." I looked at him and put on a fake smile. "That's my big boy." He said while teasing me. I chuckled this time for real.

Out of nowhere, he grabbed me by the shoulders and gave me a side hug. Then he gave me a sight push, and I trembled into the water.

He giggled like a little girl who just got ice cream from the ice cream man. "Have fun, man." He said while giving me one last look and putting up the peace sign.

I looked back to see Mile looking at me when we locked glances. He suddenly looked away and continued his conversation.

Somebody tapped my shoulder, and I looked to see Samantha next to me. I expected her to ask me what happened, but she just flecked her eyelashes and looked at me intensely.

Feeling slightly uncomfortable, I slowly crept away from her. "Don't be like that." She said while nuzzling my shoulder."I was joking."

"Yeah, okay." I think I heard her talking, but I ignored her and scanned the room for Miles. Surprisingly, he was already looking at me.

Instead of looking away, I went up to him, which stunned him since he swiftly looked away. That didn't stop me from drawing closer to him, and when I did, the girl he was talking to averted his attention to me.

When I reached Mile, he gave me a confused look and tried to signal me to leave, but I didn't budge. "Who are you?" The girl said while flashing me a smile.

Before I could talk, Mile interrupted, "Nobody!" He insisted, which made the girl confused. "Sorry that he does that. Sometimes I have no idea what's wrong with him." I said while extending my hand.

"I'm his childhood best friend, Tyler."

She didn't take it and just looked at me. "Brittany." Miles pointed his head to a lone corner, trying to gesture that he didn't want me near him. In response, I ran my hand through his hair which made him shiver.

"I'm not trying to be rude, but I'm talking with him. Can you give us some room?" Brittany said, giving me a frightful grin.

"I actually need Miles for a minute, so can you give me space?" I made eye contact with her, and she scowled intensely at me. With a smirk, I said, "Well, could you?"

I peeked at Mile's face, shredded with embarrassment, as I put my arm around him. "Yeah, okay, fine." And with that, Brittany was gone.

"What do you think you're doing?" Miles said in a tone that only I could hear. "You don't want me to be with you, but you don't want me to be with anybody else?"

"Who said I didn't want to be with you?" When those words left my mouth, he juggled out of my hold. I reached an arm for his hand so he wouldn't go. "Miles, you know why."

He didn't look at me but just stared at the water ground. "We can make it work." He's lying to himself.

"It won't." I said, "You don't know that!" He shouted, slipping away from me and rushing towards the exit.

A/N: Thanks for reading. If you have any feedback or questions, please comment, and don't forget, if you like the book leave a vote!