Chapter 6: Past

Double upload yay!

Tw: Mentions of neglect and abuse, mentions of nightmares, mentions of guns, shipping, teasing, denial of family

Dream was already scrolling on his phone, arm around George and running his non-occupied hand through the brunettes hair when Tommy awakens.

Giving a quick glance around the room, he saw no one awake besides himself and the dirty blonde, Tubbo and Ranboo still lying beside him, each having taken a blanket from him sometime during the night, leaving him in just his Minecraft pyjamas, Bad and Skeppy having left sometime during the night, Karl spread out over their spot comfortably. Sapnap was shifted away from the two at the end of his couch, tucked into a ball as if to stay far away from their moment.

Dream looked up from his phone and made eye contact with the other blonde, shutting off his phone and smiling at him. His hand continued to brush through George's messy bed hair, and Tommy's eyes trail down to the boy he's holding and a smirk pulls onto his face as he reconnected their eye contact.

Tommy thought for a few moments, piecing together things before he asked the question many people had for the boys. The moments where they almost instinctively moved closer in times they needed comfort, those occasional glances the two gave each other when they thought no one was watching, obvious signs, to Tommy at least, that Dream and George liked each other.

So, he did as anyone would while sitting in a slightly awkward silence which clearly needed a conversation started; he asked.

"Do you like him?" He asked, shock flooding through Dream's face as he looked down at the brunette, his hand stilling in his hair, contemplating his answer.

"I don't know." He responded after a beat of silence, hesitancy laced through his voice like poison, eyes not looking up from their originally trained position.

Tommy's face plunged into confusion, ready to list reason why the boy could possibly like his friend. "Well, do you get butterflies when he's around, are you liking cuddling him now, do you want to be more than friends -"

"Tommy," Dream interrupted, his eyes looking back to the blonde. "It's not that I don't know what a crush is. It's just that having a crush on George would be bad; he's my best friend and he's straight." His eyes shot back to the green-cased device held in his hands and a weak smile spread over his face. "I don't think it's a good idea to even consider it."

Tommy nodded, a little sad for his friend that that was how he'd shaped his mind to think. "He agreed to share a bed with you, he's literally cuddling with you on your lap as we speak, and I've seen him kiss your cheek before. Not really signs of a straight person if you ask me, and I would know; I am one." He argued, glad to see a red haze pulling over the others face, waving a hand in his direction to dispel the attention drawn to his flustered state.

"He kissed my cheek once, and by the way he went back to Bad and Karl after he did it, it must've been a dare or something." Dream protested, his hands taken out of George's hair to shake them furiously as a distraction.

Tommy laughed at the dismissal of his very valid points. "Sure, sure." He teased playfully, still chuckling. Dream huffed, moving his hands back to hold George who stirred slightly, and he smiled fondly at the boy in his arms. His smile turned into a frown as he remembered the question he intended on asking him.

"What was your nightmare about." He spoke softly, not wanting to startle him while the others laughter quickly trickled out into a cough to cover it up.

"Uh, nothing, just, a memory, from home." Tommy stuttered, lowering his head and crossing his legs beneath him, brushing his hands over his thighs anxiously, wincing as it brushed past the scar he knew the location of off by heart. The memory of the event trickled into his mind even as he desperately tried to push it out, the nightmare flickered through his defences and playing in his head like a horrific movie of his own past events.

Dream continued looking at him, waiting for him to take his time to tell him, if he ever did. The dirty blonde looked down, took a breath and then shared, just as expected. "When I was twelve, I was made to do an initiation, of sorts, and I missed the shot, and my Dad got really mad and shot me." He replied, getting the confidence to look up at the other blonde, gently tugging up his pant leg to reveal the bullet scar, still visible even after the length of time.

The past wound was stared at by both of them. "Do you get the nightmares often?" Dream finally asked, curious as to how he could help the situation.

Tommy shifted though, not used to opening up to people. "I don't sleep much." He muttered, trapping his hands between his legs to stop himself from picking at his fingernails. "So sometimes. They were much worse when we first left."

Dream's head tilted to the side in confusion, his hair falling and brushing onto George's cheek softly. "Why don't you sleep much?"

The tactic Tommy had for reducing his anxiety quickly failed as the question was asked. "I just get scared they might come and find me and take me back." He whispered, looking into his lap.

"Your family?" Dream murmured, concern etching into his words, his eyes still concentrated on Tommy despite his disinterest in meeting his gaze. Tommy scoffed, his head shaking firmly.

"They're not my family." Anger laced his words. "No one who hurts me like that is." He looked up to see Dream smiling at him, eye making contact as he smiled back.

"No one here will hurt you like that." Dream responded firmly. "Ever."

A smile grew on Tommy's face and he tugged down the pyjama pant leg back to ankle height. "Promise?" He asked, reaching over the coffee table with his pinkie outstretched, Dream happily leaning over to link his with Tommy's.

George stirred from the movement, opening his eyes to see their fingers still linked with their promise, before they pulled away. He sat up with a yawn, realising he was essentially on Dream's lap and turned away from his position. "What were you promising?" He muttered sleepily, stretching his arms above his head and smiling at the boys.

Tommy, taking the opportunity to tease them both, smirked. "Dream promised to kiss you later." He responded, watching as Dream's face contort into panic, and George's took on a pink hue.

"No!" Dream yelped, moving forwards with a jolt. "No, no, no, that's not what we were talking about or promising." George chuckled at the protesting, sinking back into his for a moment and pushing his nose up to the blondes ear, causing his friend to become more red.

He quietly scoffed, the air wafting over the Dream's neck, causing him to shiver. "I wouldn't mind if you kissed me." He whispered, the words deliberately just loud enough for Tommy to hear across the other side of the room. After speaking, George immediately shifted away and began collecting the used mugs from the night before, leaving a stunned Dream sitting on the couch.

He sank back into the leather couch as the brunette walked away, the words setting in as a blush did, and his hands flew to his face to cover it. Sapnap, who had woken up just in time to hear the words George uttered, laughed at him along with Tommy, who had seen the whole scenario.

Sapnap's joyous laughter jostled Karl awake, who only took one look at Dream's face, still covered, to figure out pieces of the situation and joined the two boys in their teasing.

"Shut up!" He groaned, a smile forming on his face instinctively from the laughter. George's hands rested on the back of the couch behind Karl, resting his head on his hands and smiling at the still flustered blonde.

"He just can't handle me flirting back!" He teased, a fond smile falling over his face as Dream looked up to glare at him, it faltering as he spotted the smile, the face mimicking onto his, unable to fight back anymore.

"Whatever." Dream muttered, looking away with the smile still present on his face. Tommy's laughter died down and watched their interaction with a grin. As much as he teased them, he would be happy if they got together.

Phil, Wilbur and Techno would never be his real family, neglected him as often as they did.

Maybe these people could become the family he needed.

~~~

Awww family (bleh)

This book is mainly Karlnap, but there is going to be quite a lot of dnf and bench trio family content, so uh- enjoy!

Hope your all having a good day!

Love, Skye ☁️💜