o n e ↣ staring problem

┌───────────────────┐

└───────────────────┘

E R I N

ERIN CARVER NEVER SAW much of the sun. In fact, she spent most of her free time in a space that was farthest from nature's light. It was a place meant for quiet time, not middle schoolers. But, in the beginning of the school year, the girl was able to guilt Mr. Scott Clark into letting her spend her recess time there. And together, their excuse was the pursuit of extra credit that she would never really receive.

Erin's scheme only worked because she'd started with pleading her desperate case of simply having no one to spend recess with, and the kind teacher had easily taken that bait. And then the girl proceeded to beg him for a chance at exploring her curiosity in a space that was strictly meant for high schoolers, which finally reeled him in. This place had soon become the sole reason—besides genetics, of course—that the girl's awkward, lanky self was also accompanied by the skin of a ghost: the Hawkins High School darkroom.

While she could've been outside, like the other kids, the girl chose to spend her free time illuminated by the red lightbulb hanging from the ceiling of the lab. The girl preferred spending copious amounts of time exposed to the fumes of slightly harmful chemicals, alone, than to be playing alone, out in the courtyard.

But what started as a scapegoat to get out of recess, soon turned into a hobby of Erin's. She found the process of shooting film, developing it, and then printing it to be almost therapeutic, during a time when she definitely needed some alleviation. The girl even acquired a new best friend, the film camera that Mr. Clarke rented out in his name, just for the middle schooler's use.

Erin never managed to make any real friends, during her time spent in the darkroom. This was due to the fact that the only people going in and out of the lab were high schoolers, who were only able to offer their confused glances upon noticing that a middle schooler was in their designated space.

No one ever really said anything to her, as she wasn't much of a bother, and instead chose not to acknowledge her. All except for one high school student, Jonathon.

Erin didn't ever learn his full name. She'd only ever really gotten a peak at the older boy's name, due to the clips labeled Jonathon B. attaching the pictures she'd watched him develop, to the drying line.

The girl couldn't help but to become interested in the older student's artwork, considering he was the one who, so-kindly, taught the girl how the printing process worked, towards the beginning of the school year. Everything about photography seemed to come so easily to Jonathon, and Erin found herself in some sort of admiration over his photographs. She might have even considered herself to have a bit of friendly envy.