Queen of Light

Evelyn Darkwood sat next to the throne, her bright emerald eyes staring at the man in front of her. Her top lip curled in disgust as he made his attempt to woo Queen Madelyn Blight. He was a tall and handsome man, with dark hair and striking facial features. Nothing short of what a queen would want at her side. But alas, his attempts fell on deaf ears. Queen Madelyn never took a king or lover for one simple reason. She did not need a man to control her kingdom. Queen Madelyn was a powerful shifter with Evelyn by her side as her right hand. Evelyn was a powerful witch whose powers had proven worthy to Queen Madelyn many times.

Queen Madelyn held her hand up to stop the man from talking. She had heard quite enough of his babbling about her. "Enough. I do not wish to marry." Her voice was soft but harsh. Without a second glance at the man, she waved him off. After he left Evelyn turned to face her lifelong friend.

"Won't they ever learn?" Evelyn's voice was wispy and breathy as if it were the wind itself.

"I do not think so, Eve. Men want to rule over us as they have for years. The kingdom of Rinada is better off without a king. For years the people suffered under the men in my family and now we are one of the largest kingdoms in the land. All thanks to us." Queen Madelyn smiles at her words. It was true. Madelyn had only been in power for 2 years and they had already taken several of the smaller cities around them. Not to mention the changes to laws that Madelyn had made.

Madelyn stood from her throne, her long golden dress swirling around her as she straightened it. Evelyn looked at her as she waited for her friend's order. "Shall we take a ride?" Madelyn's voice held a hint of playfulness to it. With Evelyn, the queen's formal exterior melted away. The two had been friends long before she took power.

COVER BY: Me