CHAPTER 14

I hid in the forest for how many days. It's like I have a mission to accomplish, just like what my father did in the jungle with all those troops. I learned how to catch wild animals as food, build and create traps and I even found some fossils there. I recently uncovered a cache of 2,000-year-old skeletons. When night comes, the only problem I have is electricity. Aside from the glowing moon and stars, I have no other sources of light. But one frigid night, I thought I was in a Siberian, standing on a glacier. It was so cold. Neither the moon nor the stars showed up. I couldn't see anything aside from darkness. It's the same darkness I see inside the jail. Same darkness as I closed my eyes remembering my dark past. But I am still experiencing darkness. I can feel it but I might not consider this as part of the dark. I will not and I should not because I don't want to be devoured again by those sharp fangs of reality.

Nightmare every night is inevitable. I even do night walking and by the time I woke up, I was on the top of the tree. I was night climbing, not night walking but how did I climb the tree? It was a quest that was left unanswered. The only thing I'm sure about, there was no ladder here. 

 I remember the only nightmare that I couldn't forget.

I was chased by someone as I bolt up to a volcano. I think I'm heading to the Mayon Volcano holding a torch. I told the people that there were golds on the top that can save their lives financially and can eradicate contagious diseases and they can get them all they want. But another group of people was heading to the top giving signals that they were the first ones who saw the golds and that they were the owners. And It caused a war because I wanted to stop their claim. As the war on the top of the volcano raged on, drizzle turned to rain, and volcano erupted. Earthquake occurred, people went down but magma turned lava. The black sky turned red but ash clouds dominated the sky. Nature became the battleground and gold is the prize.

The pyroclastic flow is extremely hot, burning anything in its path. That's why I wanted to save myself. I went down. I ran. But I stopped when I saw familiar people looking at me—pointing at me. They wanted me to go further to the top and jump from the crater to the large pool of liquid rock beneath the surface of the Earth.

To my shock, those familiar people are Ichika, Hudiyo, Mr. Diether, Sugar Tita, and even Hearmee, the young bookworm. Behind them are Monalisa and... my father. My Oto-san.

"What are you all doing here?" I said but there were no replies. I used the torch to see them clearly. It's like they were lured by a magical stone, bolting to the volcano with open eyes, and unconscious minds. 

"Chemistry dies with time, Alchemy is born through time. Chemistry dies with time, Alchemy is born through time. Chemistry dies with time, Alchemy is born through time," they said three times before I lost my balance. They wanted me to go up further. They wanted me to die and be burned. But as I looked my Otosan's eyes, I can see the reflection of fire—lava, and air—the ash clouds, earth—the crust shaking, and water—his tears are falling. The four elements that can turn lead into gold. But I haven't seen him crying because... he's a soldier. I don't want to see him crying not even once, even the heavens and the ambers collide. He's 5 feet apart but it felt so far.

"Yoriwomodoshitai," I hugged him, "I said I want you back!" My tears finally fell.

He watched me and his mouth started to utter some words. "Who are you?" 

Then he pushed me to the center of the volcano. I can see their heads together with the fire particles. Fuel, oxygen, and heat join together in a sustained chemical reaction but it looks like pixie dust.

And I watched the time to move fast...then I woke up but still, the fire particles are visible.

But they are blinking.