Chapter 3: Out of the City

I woke up again a few hours later. For the first time ever, the city was silent. A few quiet sobs echoed here and there, but there was nothing else. I felt absolutely sick to my stomach; there was no way to tell if that stemmed from my raging fever or how horrific the events that had just taken place were.

I still wasn't quite sure it really happened. I needed to talk to Cynthia. Opening my mouth, I tried to speak. Nothing came out, my throat felt like it was full of cinders. I gritted my teeth and pushed myself into an upright position. The world only spun for moment, then everything was still again. Dried sweat held my hair in place as I swiveled my head to find Cynthia, but someone else found me first.

"Sebastian?" a somber but high voice said my name, Charlie.

I saw rapid movement from across the alley. Before I could blink, Cynthia dove towards me. I cried out when she crashed into me with the tightest hug I had ever received. Tears of pain sprang to my eyes. Pulling back, Cynthia cupped my face in her hands. I smiled through a small wince, "I thought they killed you..." she whispered, voice cracking.

"And you didn't think to check?" I muttered.

"You looked like you were, and I couldn't..." her voice trailed off, she got a better look at me. She worriedly felt my forehead. "Holy sh- Seb, you're burning!"

"I don't feel as dizzy," I offered.

"You need to get out of here, now,"

"I'm sorry," I choked, "What?"

"I don't know why, but we've been sharing and receiving news all morning, all the men are gone."

I shook my head. I must not have heard her correctly. "Cynthia," I started, "that can't be right."

More tears sprang to her eyes, "It's definitely not 'right', but it's true... my guess is the only reason you're still here is because you're... y'know. But I'm sure the soldiers will be back, and the penalty for hiding men is execution. At least, that's what they told us."

I couldn't process it. "That makes no sense Cyn, just slow down... please,"

"Sebastian, there's no time. I wish you could stay, but you need to leave."

I tried to meet her eyes, but she looked so empty. Bart. "Where's Bart?" I asked, not wanting the answer.

"They took him; they..." she pursed her lips, "They took everyone," she threatened to break down; somehow, she shoved it back.

"I'll go," I murmured.

Cynthia only nodded at me, the premature lines on her face harsh. "Sebastian, I'm sorry, I know trying to leave is a death sentence,"

"According to you, so is staying..." I trailed off.

"I'm sure the port will be chaotic with people trying to escape... At least, I hope so. Do you think you can make it?"

I wasn't sure. My fever was at its worst, but there was more strength in my body then there had been before. I credited the food I'd been able to eat. I didn't directly respond, but rather, moved to stand up.

The wind that had so horribly chilled me the day before had grown more aggressive overnight. Cynthia rose with me as the wind whirled its way through our hair. I was hot and freezing cold, and my legs shook but I was standing and fairly certain I could walk. Cynthia locked eyes with me and let my arms go.

I stood still, listening to the quiet but agonized tears of the people around me, my family, the people who cared for me, raised me, saved my life. "This feels like running Cyn,"