Chapter 7

Back at the jeweller Phillip's indifferent stare morphed into a sceptic frown. Nala shoved the flashback to the back of her mind and glared at him.

"I'm pretty sure I asked because you looked like a kid and I'm not a pedophile", he stated and Nala shook her head.

"Well, considering how fast you got it up", she indicated with her index finger, "You clearly didn't care about it that much."

"For you stating you couldn't remember, you're doing it a lot actually", the man smirked, still standing between her and her freedom.

"I'm kinda forced into it, aren't I?", she gave her sarcastic reply although she wanted nothing more than to hide in a corner and cry because of her anxiety acting up, "What even is this, honestly? Are you getting off on that?"

"Yeah, keep telling yourself that. I find it kinda funny to suddenly keep seeing you at every corner, when we managed years without meeting before. Where will it be next time? In a bar again?", Phillip scoffed. Nala had a feeling he secretly liked them fighting. What an asshole!

"Whishful thinking is what I call what just came out of your mouth. But no thanks, I don't fancy fathers, especially ones with shitty personalities!", she bit back. She couldn't stop herself from answering but she didn't want to proceed either.

"Ouch, I'd have to lie when I say that hurt my feelings", he countered with a smug smirk, "And if you didn't like daddies you probably should work on you pattern. Or am I detecting a few daddy issues here?" And okay, that one hit home. Nala sucked in a sharp breath.

"Just fuck you, Phillip!", she hissed at him, finally pressing past him with force and turning to walk away.

"So indeed daddy issues?", Phillip taunted from behind her and Nala turned around again.

"You know, you really should learn when to shut your mouth!", she said with a calmness that could be discribed as dangerous at best.

Phillip lifted his hands in mock defence.

"Alright, I'm already quiet. Otherwise I'll get problems with Gwen again."

"She isn't my mum. And it's neither of your nor Gwen's business. One casual shag doesn't entitle you to think you know me."

"Says the one who jumps at every opportunity to offend me lately. I can't recall us parting in bad blood. If I'm that bad, shouldn't you take the higher ground?"

"Because a friend is hurting because of you! You just don't pursue a taken woman. Taken by your very own cousin for that matter. That's just low and I won't pretend I'm okay with that. You should really reconsider your moral standard in that matter. And I would be long gone if you hadn't blocked my way", Nala spat at him now positively livid. How could he not see that what he did was wrong? Yet he strutted about his way without a care in the world for the people that got hurt in the crossfire.

"Don't you put that on me. You're free to go. Nobody's stopping you", he pointed around himself on the street. Nala fixed him with a deadly glare, shook her head and walked away without another word. That man was a lost cause. How she ever was attracted to him was beyond her. He was just an entiteled asshole thinking he was on top of the world. Nala felt bad for still holding that night close to her heart.

Sure she's had others - that she didn't lie about - but she was indeed impressed. He was the only man she could remember sleeping with, who cared for her pleasure not just his own. She didn't understand how someone that cold would put someone else first behind closed doors, like it was second nature. It didn't fit and it didn't make sense. Although being drunk back then and the whole thing being a long time ago, Nala was sure to remember correctly. He'd played her like a violin. Intuitively - something a truly cold-hearted person wouldn't be able to do. For being intuitive you need to have to tune in with emotion, to at least posses some form of empathetic capacity, so why was Phillip behaving like he couldn't care less? About Flo or about anyone really.