Chapter 1 - A Proposition

Sten Ironwarg Earlier that Morning

"Oh fuck," I groaned. I wiped the grogginess from my face and looked around to get my bearings. The girl I bedded the night before still lay next to me, tangled in my bed sheets. Hell, I was shocked I even made it to my bed after the night before. The smell of ale and burnt pork still clung to my skin.

"What a fucking night," I muttered to myself. It was not unlike every other night in the Great Hall. I recalled the chanting and beating of our drums. My memory was hazy from knocking back a few pints and a couple of heads. I vaguely remember getting into a drunken brawl and getting lucky by a sympathetic maid. My head ached. Nonetheless, I forced my eyes open; the sun was already out.

"Son of a fucking whore!" I pulled myself out of bed and staggered over to my pile of gear on the floor. I got dressed and pushed my locked hair from my face. I swung the door open and started to take off when I saw the note stuck to the doorway with a dagger. I ripped the message from the door and began to read.

Sten,

I got tired of waiting for your lazy ass this morning. You and your friend looked too peaceful to wake up. Nonetheless, I met with the Elders without you. Enjoy guard duty. Be there once you wake up.

Your Beloved Chief, Jasper Bloodborne.

"That mother fucker!"

"What's wrong?"

I looked back into my bed chambers to find that I had woken up the maid who spent the night with me. Her once neat blond hair now framed her face wildly after a night with me. She had pulled the covers up to shield her naked body. God's, for such a shy creature, she was a great fuck. "Don't worry yourself. Just a work assignment," I said, holding up the note.

"Oh, I'm sorry," the tone of her voice seemed confused.

"Last night was fun, but I need to get to work. We should do this again sometime," I winked. I grabbed some gear and headed out into the hall.

Jasper had always been uptight, even since we were kids. However, once he had become chieftain of the horde, he'd only become worse. I can't believe that son of a bitch put me on guard duty, I thought to myself. Gods, I fucking hated guard duty. The job was terribly dull. Nothing worthwhile ever happened around here. I wanted some fucking action. Nonetheless, I headed out to the gate. I knew Jasper would kick my ass if I didn't show up.

***

Later That Morning

The ground began to vibrate under their boots. Moments passed by. The rumbling grew stronger, turning into thundering quakes. Hooves beat against the Earth. Who would dare to venture to the highlands of the Northern Orruk mountains? Most humans stayed clear of the horde, and for good reason. The early morning sun made it difficult for the Orcs to see off into the distance. Sten wiped the beads of sweat from his brow and squinted his eyes, trying to scan the area. "Well, men, our day won't be so monotonous after all."

A small cavalry of knights atop massive black horses came into view. The orc men readied for a confrontation, grasping the hilts of their weapons. The orc could not recall the last time human men traveled to their mountains, but violence had always ensued. The archers above the gates drew back on their crossbows and waited for the signal. The points of their arrows followed them as they grew closer, ready to fly. "And who the fuck are you then?... What business do you have with the Orruk?" Sten's voice boomed.

The leader of the knights approached the gates with caution. The impropriety caused a scowl to spread across his thin lips. "Watch your filthy tongue with me, swine. I am Commander Tollak of Blackwater Hold," Tollak spat his words like venom. He glanced up at the Blackwater coat of arms carried by the bannerette. "Fetch your superior... beast. I have a message from King Corvus," he demanded, clenching his jaw.

Sten smirked in disbelief and looked to his comrades, "You posh bastard." He stepped forward and unsheathed his sword. The sharp sound pierced the air as the knights lowered their spears toward them. "You come to our territory and bark orders at me? Your king has sent you here to die, human," he spat, his accent growing thicker. He planted his foot in front of him, ready to charge.

Suddenly, the gate slowly thundered open. A large orc, clothed in thick iron armor embellished with intricate carvings, walked through the gates. His bulk obstructed the sun's rays, casting a shadow over the knights who stood at the bottom of the steps leading to the gate. He appeared to be larger than the others. "Sten," he boomed. "Stand Down."

"Chief Bloodborne," Sten said, acknowledging his superior. He and the other orcs kneeled in respect.

Commander Tollak began to speak, but Chief Bloodborne raised his hand, warning him to hold his tongue. "You," Bloodborne growled. "I have asked my men to stand down. You have disrespected them. I will not stop them if you disrespect them again. I cannot deny them that right."

Chief Bloodborne's grip tightened around the massive hammer that hung from his right hand as if it weighed nothing. He wanted to crush the head of this arrogant bastard but refrained. "Why does your king request my attention? What could he possibly want from me?" he questioned.

The lump in Commander Tollak's throat bobbed as he swallowed, indicating his unease. "King Corvus wishes to have an audience with you to propose an alliance, to put differences aside," Commander Tollak said, trying to maintain his composure.

"And why would your human king seek to create an alliance with my kind?" he asked skeptically.

"There is rising friction among the kingdoms of men. King Corvus seeks to strengthen our forces and secure our northern borders."

"So, your race squabbles like juvenile boys, and your king wishes to drag the orcs into this human nonsense. I do not make deals with your kind," Chief Bloodborne's voice was deep and gravelly, rumbling inside him. His calm, deadly demeanor never faltered. He turned his back to them and began to signal to the lookout post to close the gait.

"Chief Bloodborne!" Commander Tollak interrupted before Bloodborne disappeared behind massive gates. "Our king offers to give you compensation. He wants to make a trade. If you lend us your strength, Blackwater will relinquish a substantial amount of our northern territory," Tollak bargained.

Chief Bloodborne stood stiff for a moment. He breathed out before giving his command. He couldn't easily refuse this offer without considering it. The Orruk had lost much of the continent during the assault on Urangar hundreds of years ago. If this was a legitimate deal, he could not ignore it. "Ready the wargs and a company of warriors. We leave within the hour."