chapter six: crush

not gonna lie, motivation and inspiration to finish is running low because of how sad/frustrated I'm feeling with the actual show. it's kind of a bummer that it's going this way when i really do enjoy the show and characters...eh, i guess it is what it is. 😵‍💫  

I hope everyone enjoys anyways. thanks for reading. 💛

--

Why do I keep running from the truth?/all I ever think about is you/ you've got me hypnotized, so mesmerized/and I just got to know, do you ever think, when you're all alone, all that we could be, where this thing could go?/am I crazy or falling in love?/ is it real or just another crush?/do you catch your breath when I look at you?/are you holding back, like the way I do?/cause I've tried and tried to walk away/but I know this crush ain't goin' away

---
"What about this? This is good right?" Olivia twirled in her skirt and crop top, her nikes pairing perfectly. She really did think it was the perfect da-, hangout outfit. Hangout outfit. Hang. Out. Out. Fit. It wasn't a date. Just hanging out with a friend. A friend that she had vivid daydreams about. Definitely not a date.

"You know for someone who says it's not a date, you sure are acting like it's a date." Ryan poked at the very flustered Olivia, her mouthful of popcorn muffling her words.

"For the thousandth time, it's not a date. It's two people hanging out with two other people. I just didn't want to play third wheel to you and this "D" guy playing kissy face. You've been going on about him for weeks so I figured this was a less awkward way to meet him."

"Don't be a hater, Baker. It's unbecoming." Ryan wiggled her eyebrows.

"Harty-har-har, I am not hating. I just would rather be able to hang with a friend when I inevitably get ditched by you." Her defensive stance wasn't helping her "not a date" rebuttal but she wasn't going down without a fight. It was purely platonic. 

Right?

"Whatever helps you sleep at night. But speaking of coming, when are you gonna allow Spencer to make y-"

"If you finish that sentence, I promise you that I will tell everyone I see tonight that you slept in your moms bed until you were 12." Olivia said, raising her eyebrows in seriousness.

"First of all, rude. Second of all, you wouldn't dare because then I'd have to send a text to Jordan about how you and Spencer almost did it on his couch." Ryan tilted her head to the side. This was war.

Olivia grimaced. She knew telling Ryan any details about the previous night was a mistake."Oh my god! No we did not! We just got caught up in the moment and I probably read too much into what was happening. Now can we please drop it and finish getting ready."

"Sure. When you find the rest of your skirt for this non-date, let me know." Ryan stood up, throwing popcorn her way and then sprinting out of the room to avoid the hellfire that was Olivia's payback.

--

On the other side of town, it wasn't going much better for Spencer. He was on the phone with Darnell as he got ready and because he was refusing to give any details on where he was going, Darnell decided it was the perfect time to annoy his friend. It was his brotherly duty. 

"So let me get this straight. You're hanging out with a girl. On a weekend. After you almost kissed her. And yet you're still saying and thinking that it's not a date?" Darnell said, trying to not combust into laughter.

"It's not. I mean, am I feeling Olivia? Yes, I can say that. To you. But if I say that to her and she's not feeling me the same way then I end up losing a friend. One who also just happens to be the person who can write an article on me that is far from pretty. So no, unless she says otherwise, it's not a date."

"Boy you are so whipped already, I'd feel bad for you if it weren't actually a perfect representation of you."

"Man shut up. I am not whipped. And what do you mean, representation of me?"

"That you are the most paid and eligible ball player I know yet none of that even phases you. Need I remind you that you've been asked out by tons of women and have said no to going out with every single one of them? Yet you've been seeing Olivia multiple times a week for the past, what? Two months? And because you don't wanna scare her off, you're going at her pace? Man you are Spencer James and can have anyone yet you're so low-key that you choose the one person who you have to chase."

"Nah, it's not even like that. Liv is...Liv is different man. She's not interested in me for the reason all those other girls are. She doesn't care about any of this football or celebrity mess and she doesn't care about me being Spencer James. I learned real quick, she's not afraid to call me on my shit. Liv is my friend because I'm Spencer, the person. She's funny, she's smart and she's not afraid to speak her mind. She's real." It took Darnell clearing his throat for Spencer to realize that he wasn't paying any attention and had gotten lost in thoughts of the night he had with Olivia. Seeing her in her element with her family and her openness in general with him the past few months had meant a lot to him. It felt easy with her. Comfortable.