Chapter 1

I need to find mom. Where is she? Mom? Mom! I ran through the dark forest tripping on roots every once in a while, trying to ignore the pain that shocked through my legs each time. I knew I needed to get home, but that meant leaving my sister and my father. I saw the village markings and knew home was close. The fog started to thicken the closer I got to the village, the gate was coming up. "Open!"

The fog soon cleared and next thing I knew I ran straight into one of the guards. "Rose what's wrong? Where is your sister?" The guard tried to grab me but I quickly pushed away and ran inside the village. Mom and Theo were already waiting outside our house for me to come. "Mom! Mom! They are in danger! They are in danger! We need to help them! He's going to hurt them!"

I frantically started yelling at my mom and brother. "You need to breathe Rosalyn. Can you tell me what happened, and who is in danger?" Mom put her hand on my back and gently guided me inside the house. "We didn't like the look of the men dad went to talk to, so we followed them. We should have been more careful, but we were worried. A man came up from behind and was able to knock out Rosy."

I took a breath of air. "I tried to fight him off but he was too strong. While we were fighting another guy snuck up and grabbed Rosy, and took her away. I tried to run after her but I couldn't get away from the man I was fighting. They had dad down with another guy on top of him. I pretended I passed out, and the second I felt him relax I ran for it. I.. I left them."

Theo was soon rubbing my back while mom signaled for the guard to go. "There was nothing you could have done Rosalyn. The guards will go retrieve them and capture the men who attacked you. Can you tell me where this happened?" I moved away from Theo's touch and headed for the door. "I will show them where to go!"

"You will not go back out there young lady!" I didn't bother responding to my mom, I just ran out. I could hear mom and Theo yelling for me to come back, but I ignored them. They knew when it came to Rosy, nothing else mattered. I need to see you. I need to see that you are okay.

"Aaron, I will show you where to go." Aaron shook his head but didn't bother saying anything. He put me on the back of a horse and made sure I held on tight. "This way men!" I knew it would be a short ride but I made everyone go as fast as they could, not wanting to be even a second too late. "They should be just up ahead! Be ready to fight at my command!" I jumped off my horse and began to run, not even checking if the others were following behind me.

"Daddy! Rosy!" There was a man holding Rosy's unconscious body by her arm and three men held down my now awake and resisting dad. "Oh look who decided to come back! Are you here to say goodbye to your dad, or are you here to join him?" The man on top of my dad smirked at me. The man, no boy, standing by him growled and smacked him upside the head.

"Let them go!" The boy gave me a shocked look, but then looked like he was considering it. "How about we make a deal?" The boy walked up to me but Aaron grabbed me and pulled me behind him. "You are not going to take Princess Rosalyn! Now return Princess Rosemary and the King at once!" The boy waved at his man, making me realize they were getting ready to attack.

"Aaron, stand down." Aaron turned to look at me to protest but I looked at him letting him know that it was not a request. He bowed at me and moved to the side so I could walk forward. "Tell me more about this deal." I could see Aaron tense up at my words, not hiding his displeasure with me considering the deal.

"I need all your men to leave first." I waved my hand and signaled for them to back off. I know it was a bad call, but I couldn't think straight with Rosy in trouble. My men hesitated but slowly backed up as commanded because they knew the consequences of disobeying. "They aren't leaving but they are backing off."