LauraMae

The rooster crowed loudly at 8:00 AM, but I was already awake. Sand made its way between my toes and I barely noticed the slightly inconvenient touch. My eyes are focused on the ocean in front of me. I watch as each small wave crashes down. Every so often one would be higher than others and I would see a fish or two in it.

    "The wave patterns are unusual today," a voice comes from behind me. "It is almost as if tonight is supposed to be a full moon. But it is not. The moon will not shine tonight. Sad." I recognize the voice. It's my girlfriend, Princess Bessei. She's from Dayland, a few kingdoms over from Isle of Denza and one of our worst enemies. Or at least she was Princess. Her people disowned her when she declared that she would leave Dayland, but she still wears her title proudly and I'm not going to be the one to tell her she isn't royalty.

    "For being from Dayland, you sure know a lot about the moon," I smile. It's a joke I say every time she says anything about the moons, stars, or planets. A few more waves crash down as she comes up and wraps her arms around my abdomen and kisses my neck lightly.

    "LauraMae, you know I do not like the day time. The night is when the most mystic of creatures are out. If only you would stay up all night with me so I can show you," Bessei sighed. "I really do think you would love it. But, I know, you have duties at the castle that require you to get plenty of sleep." I half nodded and sat down on the ground. Bessei followed suit. I hated lying to her, but I had to.

    "I know, Bess," I said after a long moment. "I'll come up with a reason to leave the castle for a night and then we can enjoy it together." I gave her a wink, trying to boost her happiness again.

    Ever since Bessei got cast from Dayland, she's become almost nocturnal. She stays awake at night, studying the skies and creatures she may come across. I love hearing about her findings every morning. It works out this way, though, because once I have to leave, she camps out in a treehouse she built in the woods next to the ocean. We're both always up to meet the other on the shore.

    Silence filled the beach, only being broken by waves coming down and seagull honks as they got irritated with the moving food being dragged away by the water faster than usual. Over to my left were a group of crabs, battling out to the death. It was a common morning ritual. When the rooster crows at 10 AM, which signals the start of the work day, Scavengers will come down and grab the crabs that lost to help provide for everyone.

    The Isle of Denza works in a way most other Kingdoms don't, and we pride ourselves in that. Though we still have servants and peasants, everyone, including the royal family, helps provide for its people. Not one person goes without contributing. It's been that way since my Great-Great-Grandmother Queen Denza the First found the small island. She believed that in order for royalty to actually be respected, they should show the people, down to the lowest class, respect as well. So, everyday, my family goes around spreading wealth to those who need it, and providing a community eating room to give a luxury experience to anyone who wants it. In exchange, those of lower classes will bring whatever food they may find, may that be crabs or leftovers, and our kitchen staff makes it into an enjoyable meal. Everyone is happy that way.

    Our army is one of the most regulated, but we don't use it very often. We don't ever have a need to. With the exception of a few Kingdoms, we don't have enemies. Welcoming arms are opened to everyone who may pass through. Yet, places like Dayland, refuse our welcomes. Most of them tend to stay in their own land.

    Bessei told me a legend told to kids in Dayland. It's about a girl named Alice who left in search of love and treasure. In the story, she traveled from the moment the sun rose until it set. When the sun completely set, Alice shriveled up at lack of light. Her body was left to be eaten by animals.

With Daylanders normally being afraid of facing the same fate as Alice, we don't worry about them planning a secret attack or announcing a war. We just keep what my late Uncle Lundy called "an annoyingly close eye" on them. Though I think the eye might have shifted a bit because we never hear anything about them. Or maybe they're just harmless. Untrusting, yes, but harmless nonetheless.

A seagull honked in joy as it finally caught a fish. A large wave crashed down on the seagull, though, pulling it down under. I heard Bessei nervous-giggle.

"I am nervous about those waves," Bessei said. "Those from Mer-Island say that waves are nature's first call for help. Do you think this is a warning? The skies are not gray and it should not be a full moon tonight. The waves should be calm right now."

"Ah, I don't know," I admitted. The waves were the last thing I was worried about. "I wouldn't believe a word that came from Mer-Island. It's probably just the founding of Magton. I told King Berend that a Kingdom of magnets would be a horrible idea."

Bessei opened her mouth for a second then closed it. She twirled a strand of curly yellow (more yellow than the sun will ever be) hair. I raised an eyebrow at her in an attempt to get her to say what was on her mind.

I know she has a soft spot for Mer-Island. Mer-Island and Dayland are allies, and though she's banished, Bessei will always consider herself one with Dayland. I'm not entirely sure how the alliance came to be, but each has a soft spot for each other with no room for criticism. On the other hand, Mer-Island and Isle of Denza have a horrendous feud. Everyone in Isle of Denza agrees that it's justifiable as Queen Denza the First's second husband left her for the queen of Mer-Island. They had a family together and had always talked about ruling a kingdom together. The betrayal was too much for Queen Denza and she declared eternal war on Mer-Island.

"I do not see why the war has to continue," Bessei said. "It seems silly for something like this to go on because of a breakup. Have you ever stopped to think that maybe no one cares anymore, but they keep doing it because it is what is expected of them?"

"I'm not following," I say.

"Like us," Bessei smiled. "I am from Dayland and you are from the Isle of Denza. We are supposed to be enemies. But neither of us care about meeting up in secret. Someday we will be able to go out into the public. But we both have a reputation to keep up."

"So you're saying that we only keep the war going because of our . . . reputation?"

"Let's go with that," Bessei smiled.

The rooster crowed again and we both frowned. The day was starting. Bessei had to get to her hiding spot before anyone from Dayland saw her. I gave her a hug and kissed her quickly. "Until tomorrow, My Love," Bessei smiled, but it didn't reach her eyes. I wanted to question her about it, but knew I couldn't. Not yet, anyway. I said my goodbyes and climbed the hill of rocks back up to the castle, quick to fit in as usual.