chapter thirty-three: aim

"What happened? Seb, talk to me!" She held her hands up in complete shock. This was her worst nightmare. Her dio... hurt. Her heart might as well have been ripped out. "W-We have to get him to a hospital, that's a lot of blood! Seb, what the fuck happened?"

"He was stabbed," Sebastian said grimly, hauling Harry over to the couch. He grabbed a cloth from the kitchen, holding it to Harry's wound. "I've called the doctor, but we need to get back to New York. It's not safe for us here."

"The doctor?"

"He's on his way over. He's going to make sure Harry is stabilised before we get up in the air."

"Why the fucking rush? We have to get him to a hospital, now."

He gripped her shoulders, and she winced at the feel of slick, warm blood on her skin. Her dio.

"Scarlett, listen to me. It's not safe for us to be here right now. The doctor will come here to make sure he's okay. He'll stitch him up, and get some meds in him. Harry will be fine—"

"He's lost a lot of blood." She sniffled, grabbing the cloth and pressing it harder. She wasn't sure how deep it was, and honestly, wasn't sure if she could stomach taking a look to check. Harry groaned, completely out of it.

"He will be fine, Scar. This isn't the first time something like this has happened. I've got him. Right now I need you to pack your things and get ready to leave. Okay?"

She sobbed, not even staring at Sebastian. All she could think about was her lover, bleeding out on the expensive couch he probably spent an obscene amount of money on.

"Little one." Seb encouraged, taking her face in his hands, and wiping her tears away with his thumbs. "He'll be okay. Do as I asked, we're leaving as soon as the doctor gets here."

She didn't want to question any of it. She couldn't. This was a nightmare, her dio's blood staining the floor. He was barely conscious, mumbling things she couldn't make out. She didn't want to go through this.

They had a doctor. It wasn't safe for them to be here. So many why's and how's but she was so focused on Harry. She settled next to him, cupping his face and crying.

"Scarlett, go and pack—"

"I don't care about packing, Seb. I'm not leaving his side."

He cursed under his breath, pacing the room. "Okay, little one. You stay with him."

The doctor came, and she wasn't sure if minutes had passed or hours. He deemed harry fit enough to move, and they hauled him into the car so that the doctor could care for him on the way.

She hoped the roads were clear and straight, watching as he stitched Harry's shoulder up with precise calmness that didn't make her feel any better.

"What happened?" She asked Seb as he gave quiet instructions to the driver.

"We met with a client. Didn't go well."

"Yeah, I gathered that. Who the fuck was it and did you kill them?"

He felt bad, seeing the sheer agony and grief in her eyes. Her lover was hurt and he couldn't even give her the full story. Harry was his boss and had been clear from the beginning: keep Scarlett safe and tell her as little as possible.

"He's a new client, seemed a bit dodgy and now we know why."

"So... he's alive?" She felt angry. Almost wanted to demand that the driver turn them around so she could stab this man a million times over.

"Scar, don't work yourself up over this. Harry will be fine and he'll handle everything."

A textbook answer. She clenched her fists. "I get that you have to keep me in the dark about a lot of shit, Seb. But I'm stronger than you think. I can handle whatever the fuck this is. People coming after me was one thing, but... they actually hurt him." She felt her chest tighten. "He looks so pale and helpless... I've never seen him like this and it makes me murderous."