Chapter 1 - The Darkest Hour, part 1

Arthur's leaning against his desk and writing, as Merlin entered with his clean white shirt. “You're dressed.” Merlin comment.

Isabelle groaned from the bed. “Nice observation, Merlin.” She comment.

“Yes, Merlin. I'm not an idiot.” Arthur comment to him. Then, he turned around to walk behind his desk. He didn't manage to pull his shirt all the way through his belt in the back and his skin was showing.

Merlin sniggered. “Are you sure about that?”

Arthur looked at him. “I beg your pardon?”

“It's just that you…” Merlin was interrupted.

“Merlin.” Arthur was not amused.

“But you…” Merlin was interrupted again.

“I am trying to write a speech.” Arthur gestured at the paper.

“Do you want help?” Merlin asked to him.

“He doesn’t.” Isabelle replied to him.

“No.” Arthur added.

“You won't want this, then?” Merlin held up a scroll and Arthur looked up from his desk. “I spent all night working on it.” Arthur took the scroll and looked over it with exaggerated skepticism. “What do you think?”

Arthur handed it back to Merlin. “Needs a polish.”

“I'll add it to the list.” Merlin comment as Isabelle snickered.

Arthur tossed the speech he was working on. “Merlin, there aren't many servants who get the chance to write a prince's speech. Obviously it would be too much for you to say, ‘Thank you’.” Merlin stared at Arthur for a moment and walked out with his laundry without deigning reply. Arthur smiled.

“He’s a good man, isn’t he?” Isabelle asked to him. “I think you can give him more credit.”

“And growing his ego?” Arthur asked back. “We don’t want that.” He teased her. Then, he walked towards her and kissed her.

-------------------

Sir Leon and Sir Elyan rode into the square and report to Arthur, Isabelle (since she is Arthur’s wife) and the Council. “The reports are true, sire. We caught up with Morgana on the Plains of Denaria.” Leon spoke to them.

“Was she alone?” Arthus asked to them.

Elyan shook with his head. “There was someone else.”

“Morgause.” Isabelle spoke up.

“Couldn't be sure.” Elyan sighed.

Just then, a man spoke from the shadows. It was Arthur’s uncle. He had suspicions about Isabelle and the marriage, but couldn’t speak up yet as thee was no proof. “Where was Morgana heading?”

“To the Seas of Meredor.” Leon replied to him.

“Isle of the Blessed.” Gaius added.

Then, Agravaine stepped into the light. “I'll send out patrols at first light.”

“Thank you, Agravaine.” Arthur told him.

“Hmm.” Isabelle hummed, she didn’t like Agravaine.

Leon spoke up. “Sire, you should know her powers have grown. Sir Bertrand and Sir Montague are both dead.”

“Keep me informed of any developments.” Arthur told them all, then he and Isabelle shared a look as the councilmen all bowed and exit. Agravaine remained. “For months, nothing. Why now?”