Chapter 2 - A Kit in Pain or Danger

Author's Notes:

I got to go around and see the Rippleclan territory in real life! I took a lot of pictures, but unfortunately, at the time that I went, the place was in its early spring stage. That means a color palette of yellows and browns. It's not in its prettier stage, so I'd rather get pictures later on in the summer when the leaves come back.

The following contains one spoiler for the book Forest of Secrets of the Warriors series The Prophecies Begin and one spoiler for the book A Dangerous Path from the Warriors series The Prophecies Begin.

The picture next to the song is what the bottom of the camp looks like. When people don't walk all over the grass, it sticks up funny x3 Taken in the early spring, where this chapter is set.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Ripplestar's first night sleeping in a moss bed seemed to prove unpleasant.

Silverstream sighed, lying down in wait for the tuxedo she-cat, boredom prodding at her as she waited for the image of Ripplestar to materialize over the beautiful landscape she'd created for this dream.

Late in the night, Ripplestar finally appeared before her. Silverstream, having fallen into a sleep-like state in which her dream-senses shut down for a while, was surprised by the she-cat, who had prodded her in the shoulder rather harshly to awaken her.

Silverstream hopped up in alarm, but then, realizing it was her student, calmed down to regain mysterious composure. She didn't say a word before flicking her tail and turning around, attempting to gain an enigmatic air. She walked to the east, trying to ignore the grinning Ripplestar, who obviously had enjoyed the silver tabby's surprise earlier. Perhaps it was even worse that Silverstream had tried to seem all cool afterwards, but it was too late to go back on that decision.

Instead of thinking too much of her embarrassment, the bright blue-eyed she-cat looked up and marveled at her creation. The dream was absolutely flawless, with its weeping willows surrounding a pond in the dark of night. It was illuminated only by fireflies floating in set patters, Ripplestar, leader of Rippleclan, seemed to notice as she followed the misty Starclan warrior that was teaching her the ways of cat clans.

"I like the decor," Ripplestar said, breaking a comfortable silence. "It really feels like a dream."

"Thanks!" Silverstream, the silver tabby, responded enthusiastically, thus dropping the whole mysterious act.

Ripplestar rolled her eyes at this cat's evident pride at creating a nice-looking dream.

The two continued on in silence after that, until Silverstream stopped at a smooth pair of rocks on the east side of the pond. The pair of stones were just tall enough for a cat to jump onto with no problem, and they were smooth upon their surfaces, though dipping inward like upturned leaves. Authenticity had to be traded for comfort, unfortunately.

"Here, we'll sit," Silverstream said, thus beginning the exchange they'd share.

Ripplestar nodded and hopped up to a stone, laying down on its comfortable surface in wait for her teacher to begin the lesson on the ways of cat clans.

"Now, I'm going to be telling you another piece of the warrior code." Silverstream began. "Our next one is the following: No warrior can neglect a kit in pain or danger, even if the kit is from a different Clan."

Silverstream paused, seemingly wary of Ripplestar's silence.

"I see," Ripplestar responded.